Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Monday, September 28, 2009

My Art Lesson

.
As a homeschooler, I make a genuine effort to cover all of the subjects my children should learn, but I admit that I am not an art (or music) teacher. I can teach them adequately, but I haven't enjoyed teaching them, and my students have a lack of fervor for both subjects. Poor lessons? I don't think so. I recently realized that it might be a lack of participation on the teacher's part.

During art lesson, especially, I sit my students down, present their material, and they complete their work. It was adequate, but nothing special. What the teacher didn't know until recently (teachers learn too, you know), is that art lessons benefit from jumping in with both feet. This year, I bought each of us a sketchbook and a pencil case filled with colored pencils and we are taking our show on the road. We're headed outdoors and I find my children really enjoy sketching nature, as long as I sketch along with them. We've been to the park and just outside on our own deck, and I think that fall will offer us some great opportunities for more great designs.


Peach and I sat on the deck together and sketched the petunias in the pots.



At the park, we sketched roses and trees.



And we enjoyed some fresh air...


and a rest in the shade.


.

6 comments:

  1. awesome sketches!!! Love the crooked tree house. my kids would LOVE that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Barb...such sweet pics...I love your girl in her plaid skirt. Very, very lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  3. great drawings and i love the skirt!
    r

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to learn/do art! Fun!! And how awesome that you get to participate, too. Really special!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does not look like fall there at all!

    Love the art stuff! The tree house is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that tree house IS the greatest!
    and so are those sketches!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!