Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Tuesday, September 29, 2009

My Math Lesson

.

We are not math minds. That goes for everyone in my house. I do not say that to be "clever," to let myself off easy, or to justify poor grades. I really don't like when I hear people say things like, "I just don't get math," because they prefer an excuse to not do math. Lame excuse. That just means you have to work harder. It takes a while before the light bulb goes on, but it still comes on.

Anyway, we are not math minds, so that means we work harder at math than we do at spelling or English or even Latin. Peach, in particula,r is working harder at math these days because she would rather just say, "I don't get it" and walk away. Not so fast, Sister.

We've been working on Fact Families, and for those of you who have no idea what those are (like I did not) those are numbers that go together in a math fact. Like 5 + 6 = 11, and 6 + 5 = 11, and 11 - 6 = 5, and 11 - 5 = 6, thus 5, 6, and 11 are a "fact family." This was a new concept to me when I started teaching my children, but that's o.k. Peach was having a hard time with it because she says she "caaaan't rememmmmmber" her fact families (and that is said in such a way that only a 7-year-old whiny girl can say it).



To help her, I created these Fact Family leaves as a visual aid of sorts. I drew a leaf (not very pretty, but I was going for something with three points) and cut it out of tag board. Then I traced it onto sheets of construction paper and cut them out. On each leaf I have written a fact family, with the two smaller numbers on the side and the larger number on top. Yesterday we went through all of them just saying them out loud -- 5, 6, 11. We'll do that twice a day all week. So far I have done up to 14. By the end of the week I am hoping that I can cover the largest number and she will be able to guess. Yes, sort of like flash cards, but she gets to study them first. Technically you should be able to cover any number and have them guess it, because they are a fact family (now you get it).



They were quick to make and hopefully will help us get over this hump in second grade math. Do you have any Fact Family tricks up your sleeve?

UPDATED: Today for her math lesson, I gave Peach two pages of mixed problems and then handed her the fact family leaves, one at a time, and asked her to find the problem for each fact family. She had no trouble at all. Yes, I was, in essence, giving her the answers, but I want her to make the connection between the three numbers and she did. She also recalled from memory a dozen or more fact families while we were in the car this afternoon. I love watching light bulbs come on!

.

6 comments:

  1. Oh~ very sweet!

    I think all of my children could use these... we don't have Math brains either.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing to add, but I like this idea very much! Perhaps they can be used to play a dice game, too, or a bingo type game. My kids just love those gaming dice you see at bookstores sometimes, the ones with 8, 10, or even 20 sides. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh, that is a GREAT idea!! i too have a 7 year old who stares at me blankly when i say fact family.
    r

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of "fact families," but I like the concept ... I think this could help even my kids who go to school, if they are having a hard time with their addition and subtraction. Just make up some of these flash cards. My husband and I don't have math minds, either, but it's too early to tell with the kids =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suppose you're not referring to dinner! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!