Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Monday, May 28, 2007

Weekly Menu -- May 29 through June 4

This week I'll be very busy with cooking. Maybe I have a case of the "should have said no a few times," but the fact of the matter is I will be cooking a lot this week. Today I made two batches of Colorado White Chili. I'm helping out a friend who's going through chemo and Doug's sister-in-law, who just had her second baby. We're also eating it Tuesday night. It's a good recipe and it's from one of my favorite cookbooks, Don't Panic: Dinner's in the Freezer. I'll post the recipe tomorrow. I also made a great recipe of Banana Bread that makes four loaves, so those and some homemade French bread will go in the Care packages with the soup.

Wednesday is the day that I'm taking the
Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte (Black Forest Torte) to Anthony's German class. I'm making two for his class and one for my mom's birthday, also on Wednesday. I'll be baking them tomorrow and assembling on Wednesday morning. If it's as good as it sounds, I'll post pictures and the recipe. The recipe's from Epcot, so hopefully it's authentic.

I guess we'll be having an international dinner for my mom's birthday on Wednesday because we're having Asian Sesame Chicken for dinner (another good Don't Panic recipe) and German for dessert. I'll post the Asian chicken recipe tomorrow, also. It almost couldn't be easier, and we're getting Lo Mein from my favorite Chinese take-out (because I can't get it
right at home) to have with the chicken and I'll make a sauteed vegetable medley.

On Friday we're having guests and I'm going to try Deborah's Cannelloni Florentine along with my own Meatless Manicotti. Thanks goodness we've been invited elsewhere on Saturday and I get the night off!

Monday
Lunch: leftovers from Sunday's steak dinner
Dinner: BBQ Chicken Pizza, Pig Pickin' Cake

Tuesday
Lunch: Ham sandwiches and chips
Dinner: Colorado White Chili, Orange & Vanilla Ice Cream and Pepperidge Farm Brussels Cookies

Wednesday
Lunch:Fast food
Dinner: Asian Sesame Chicken Strips, Lo Mein, vegetable medley, Black Forest Torte

Thursday
Lunch: Hot Dogs and Baked Beans
Dinner: Loosemeat Sandwiches, fried potatoes, cole slaw, leftover cake

Friday
Lunch: Tomato Soup
Dinner: Cannelloni Florentine, Meatless Manicotti, salad, fresh bread, Mud Slide Ice Cream Cake


Saturday
Lunch: Skyline chili
Dinner: with friends

Sunday:
Lunch: Sausage gravy and biscuits with eggs
Dinner: Roast Turkey, Sweet potato souffle, Squash and stuffing bake, Lemon Pie

5 comments:

  1. To tell the truth, I don't know if you're German or American. Because according to you, your son won 1st prize at German national exam and you discribed the flag of U.S.A on your paragraph which was about one day ago.

    If I knew your nationality, I'd like to talk about your country.

    So please tell me your nationality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Takuya, We are definitely American. We live in Ohio -- in the middle of the United States. My son earned a medal in the National German exam because he is a high school German student. The German exam tests many German students in the United States. My husband and I actually do have German ancestors, but our families have been in the United States for several generations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Silly little question for your silly little friend: what is skyline chili? Because you make many references to having a skyline lunch and I've just got to know. Forgive me if the answer is super obvious and I'm just too over-caffeinated to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margaret -- not silly at all, just regional. Skyline Chili is a Chili that was started in Cincinnati (I ate it growing up), and has spread regionally. I'm not certain how far north it goes, but I imagine not far past Columbus.

    It's a smooth chili (just meat and sauce -- no onions or beans -- you eat those on top) with cinnamon in it and you serve it over spaghetti with cheddar cheese, sort of like spaghetti sauce, but it tastes mothing like spaghetti sauce.

    My husband and kids love it and eat it every week. I do not.

    I have a recipe if think you might want to try it.

    Here's the official website:
    http://www.skylinechili.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aha! I know it as Cincinnati Chili and we love to have it in the fall and winter.

    The recipe I use includes a tablespoon of cocoa powder, which makes for a delightfully spicy-rich smell when it is cooking.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!