Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Monday, September 14, 2009

And Because Michelle Responded

.

The one aspect of blogging that I love most is that I learn some of the deepest thoughts of folks (women) who I know, a little, but whose deepest thoughts I would probably never learn otherwise. When women get together, for the most part they don't talk deep subjects, unless it's about our children or our faith. At least in my experience that is. We don't burden each other with serious topics like death and war and life-altering events.

Margaret asked and Michelle answered -- on a very serious, life-altering topic.

And I would like to respond to Michelle's response.

I support our military, no questions asked. Two of my brothers were Marines and my brother Jeff still works for the military, civilianizing (if that's a word) the Military Police. He is very dedicated to his fellow soldier (once a Marine, always a Marine). I have always thought our military to be the bravest, most unselfish men on the planet. Any one of our military would stand between my family and the enemy, without a question of a doubt.

A few years after the war in the Middle East began, I began to learn, personally, of men who were deployed. Many were men with large families, men like Jennie's husband and Michelle's Bill, who were not only risking their own lives, but risking the well-being of a family at home who would suffer not only during deployment, but who could, at any time, suffer the loss of their bread-winner, and beloved life-mate and father.

It was at that time that I began to privately refer to the war as "that damned war." I was not one of those who publicly bashed our government -- the opposite, in fact. I have always supported our government's decision to engage, and would debate the issue with those outside my family. But secretly, or with my immediate family, I was angry that really good men were being sacrificed on foreign soil. "For what?" I said. I understood keeping America safe, but why there? I wished that we could bring all of our soldiers home and stand them shoulder to shoulder on our borders. Just keep the bad guys out, keep us safe at home. Keep our soldiers intact.

I suppose if that were logistically possible (can you picture our military standing shoulder to shoulder on the beaches?) it would be a solution. But, Michelle's point is that beyond doing what is necessary for our country, beyond keeping us safe, we have bettered the lives of human beings somewhere else. Our soldiers can be proud that they have not only stood between my family and the enemy, but they have stood up for another family, an Afghan or Iraqi family, as well.

In his homily at Mass yesterday, Father said that "our cross" is not something that we personally bear, an illness or a discomfort that we bear only for ourselves. I cannot say that my sore foot is "my cross to bear." My cross must be something that is born for the betterment of someone else. Jesus Christ was crucified to save mankind, not to save Himself. He died to make man free. I can think of no greater cross to bear than the one our soldiers carry on their backs. They suffer, and some die, for you and for me.

.

5 comments:

  1. A very touching post. Thank you Barbara.

    Having visited my blog on a few occasions, you've probably already noticed that we are a military family. I am pregnant with #5 and my husband leaves on deployment next week. He will miss the birth and first 7 months of this child's life.

    We have chosen this lifestyle so we don't expect sympathy. But we do sincerely and humbly appreciate people like you who can see past their own misgivings for something and extend a positive thought, a good prayer and just honest to God good fellowship and support.

    So I thank you for being so kind and mindful of our cross while you endure yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Theresa,
    I have no cross at all in comparison to yours. I will pray for your husband throughout his deployment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Navy family salutes you - and prays for you and yours, too. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So well put, Barbara! You are a jewel! Thank you for expressing the gratitude I feel. Every morning at Mass we pray for our armed forces and their loved ones. May God keep them as they protect and defend us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Sarah. You're a good Navy wife!

    Ellen, I'm so glad we agree. Our parish prays for our troops, also, and I am proud of that.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!