Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Sunday, March 08, 2009

The Call

.

We attended Mass today at a different locale. Unlike my boys, who prefer to attend the same Mass every week at the same church, Peach likes to shake it up.

The Mass we attended was celebrated for the memory of loved ones and our Jill was one who was remembered. The Mass was at the Chapel of the Sisters of St. Mary of the Springs, and while the majority (vast majority) of the Dominican Sisters do not wear a habit, one teeny, tiny special Sister did. She was about as tall as my Peach, and as she entered the chapel dressed in her little black and white habit I knew it would be only a split second before Peach caught sight of her. We had to split up because the chapel was crowded, and so she and I weren't sitting right next to each other, but perched on my mother's lap in front of me she spied the little Sister right away. She turned and caught my eye, and about ready to jump out of her own skin, loudly whispered, "Mom, I see a Sister!"

I don't think her eyes left that sweet lady the entire Mass.

That's why I got a real kick out of Margaret's little dolly, who apparently has the same fascination. Dare we hope, dear friend?

.

5 comments:

  1. Too sweet! (Both of them!)

    Middle Sister, at about Peach's age, was introduced to a Franciscan friar at my grandmother's parish. Noting the stained-glass windows in that church that featured Franciscan saints, Middle Sister observed that Father John looked "like a saint." He loved it! He passed away, too young at 44, 2 weeks ago. A great loss for the Church--but a new saint for God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Delaney has a leaning toward religious life...since she was two! We have three nuns at our church that we're getting to know and I hope the knowing of them urges her on her way. :-) But don't tell my parents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it any coincidence that I found myself praying to Jill this weekend?

    I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barb,
    Awesome! I don't think we can teach our children any more important lesson than reverence for Our Lord's servants here on earth.

    Jennie -- A threesome we have. They'd be three mothers' prayers answered.

    Margaret,
    I am deeply, deeply touched -- she will be a powerful intercessor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet story! My 6-year-old has a love for sisters, too ... First it was her early love of St. Therese, who she dressed up as for All-Saints Eve when she was 3. Now, anytime we see a sister she is just so intrigued. The Little Sisters of the Poor came to her VBS last summer, and we had to go up and talk to them ... Not only were they sisters in habit but they also told us about their journey to France before their final vows (another love of my 6-year-old: anything French! LOL) We don't see sisters in full habit very often, so it is always such a treat when we do.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!