Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Whoever receives one child such as this in my name, receives me

.

When I was a teenager, I remember every year at Lent when my brothers and I were deciding on our Lenten sacrifice, my father would announce that he was giving up watermelon. It became very much a family joke, and even today, over 25 years after his death, we still laugh about his annual Lenten offering. My father did not have an inordinate love for watermelon. Instead, this annual announcement of his personal Lenten offering was more his way of saying that he was not going to reveal to us his personal Lenten penance.

My dad was not one to dodge sacrifice. In fact, the year he died, just four days after Easter, he had given up smoking for Lent. I was in college at the time and did not know of his sacrifice until Easter day. I don't think anyone but my mother knew. So while he may have been making personal sacrifice at Lent, he wasn't big on advertising it.

As an adult, I've been that way about Lent. I don't like announcing my personal penance and there could be several reasons why. It could be that, subconsciously, I don't want anyone else tallying my failings. But, I also think it means more if I keep it just between me and my Lord.

Which is why I surprised myself the other day when I decided to "declare" my Lenten offering here. The only reason I am telling you about it is because I am really looking forward to it. Lord help me if someone starts tallying my failings -- I'll have to try and offer that up, too.

I came about this personal penance last week when I was cleaning up the kitchen for the 800th time one day. Putting away some snacks the kids had left out, hobbling around the kitchen with my sore back, wiping up messy counters, I stopped myself just before I bellowed, "Whoever left these snacks out, you didn't clean up your mess." (Or it's more likely I would have smartly yelled, "Hey kids, the maid is out sick this week. Clean up your mess.") I thought to myself, what would I do if Jesus had left this mess? I know what I would have done, I would have quietly cleaned up, all the time grateful for His presence.

Why shouldn't my family receive the same treatment? Created in His image and likeness, my children and husband should be treated the same way I would treat my Lord. Mother Teresa used to say that each one of us is Jesus in disguise. And our Blessed Mother likely never criticized her Son for leaving His dirty clothes on the bedroom floor. I imagine she patiently cared for Him, counting her blessings every day.

So, this Lent I am going to make every effort to keep my comments to myself and to care for my family as Mother Teresa cared for the poor -- as though she were caring for Jesus, and as Jesus' mother Mary cared for her earthly family. She wasn't worried about how her family treated her. She fulfilled her family duties with humility and love.

Of course, I may occasionally grumble under my breath about dirty undies and socks on the floor next to the hamper, but I'll do my best to count those socks as blessings and appreciate every moment with the ones I love.

Today's Gospel confirmed that I made the right choice about this year's Lenten sacrifice:

Jesus and his disciples left from there and began a journey through Galilee,
but he did not wish anyone to know about it.
He was teaching his disciples and telling them,
"The Son of Man is to be handed over to men
and they will kill him,
and three days after his death the Son of Man will rise."
But they did not understand the saying,
and they were afraid to question him.

They came to Capernaum and, once inside the house,
he began to ask them,
"What were you arguing about on the way?"
But they remained silent.
For they had been discussing among themselves on the way
who was the greatest.
Then he sat down, called the Twelve, and said to them,
"If anyone wishes to be first,
he shall be the last of all and the servant of all."
Taking a child, he placed it in their midst,
and putting his arms around it, he said to them,
"Whoever receives one child such as this in my name, receives me;
and whoever receives me,
receives not me but the One who sent me."


.

8 comments:

  1. Hey! That's my Lenten penance/sacrifice, too! But don't tell. See? I'm even commenting anonymously, even though you know me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, but I have my suspicions, anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make that one a yearly penance--of all the sacrifices I make, I think I fail the most at that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have been so enjoying your posts these past few days. i need to get on the ball here. i'll not post any of my "sacrifices" because i am afraid once the devil hears what i am going to try and do, he'll be right there giving me a hard time. but tomorrow morning i am turning over that new leaf-so to speak. i'll pray for you if you pray for me.
    happy fat tuesday.
    love, me

    ps. and totally off topic-first i love that header picture-it is so tragically beautiful and second-did you enjoy friday night knitting? i almost bought it the other day, but i thought i'd ask someone who read it first....sorry for being so long winded!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nadja,
    I have no doubt that this one will be a tough one! Thanks for commenting.

    Regan,
    I will pray for you.

    About Friday Night Knitting, I liked it and I didn't like it. I liked the characters, but parts of the story dragged. It was also pretty sad. I usually try to write a review on Goodreads when I finish each book on my list, but this one I just couldn't write about. Partly because I was reminded of my cousin Jill when I read it, and partly because I just couldn't decide how much I liked/disliked it. I would say it's worth the read just to decide.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That "respond to the little inconveniences of life gracefully" is something that I could seriously use some help with. That's cute that your dad "gave up watermelon" every year. A great reminder indeed that the Lord sees what we do in secret.

    The only thing I'll be publicizing this year about Lent is what I've chosen to read (The How-to Book of the Mass).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barb,
    I may regret my advertising after a week or so! :o/ But then again, maybe it will keep me honest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a very blessed Lent.

    I enjoy your postings very much.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!