I am headed out today to buy bags of jelly beans. For this activity, one jar is empty, and the other is full. My children (and their parents) will add beans to the empty jar according to the list below. Jelly beans are not to be eaten until Easter.
* Red is for the blood Christ gave (Each morning we choose something to sacrifice that day to earn the red jelly bean.)
* Green is for the palm's cool shade (Green jelly beans are earned for good deeds. It was a good deed to provide shade for Jesus with the palm.)
* Yellow is for God's light so bright (Yellow jelly beans are earned for sharing God's light through kindness to others.)
* Orange is for prayers at twilight (Orange jelly beans are earned for paying special attention to bedtime prayers.)
* Black is for sweet rest at night (Black jelly beans are earned for going to bed obediently.)
* White is for the Grace of Christ (These we can not earn as mentioned above – we place a white jelly bean in the jar for Sacramental grace received when we receive the Sacraments.)
* Purple is for His days of sorrow (We earn these through apologizing to anyone we hurt with our words or deeds during the day.)
* Pink is for each new tomorrow (Pink jelly beans are earned when we forgive those who apologize to us for hurtful behavior.)
Updated: I modified the list above to place a copy of the text on our jelly bean jar. I think it previously was written for families with all young children.
list from Catholic Mom.com