Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Saturday, November 29, 2008

Catholic Shopping

.
This post is long overdue. I had hoped to have it out before you did your day-after-Thanksgiving shopping, but my own Thanksgiving week was far too busy. You don't shop the day after Thanksgiving anyway, do you? So, I'm just in time, right?

Well, anyway....after this post I thought I would have all of your good suggestions for buying wonderful things online from Catholic businesses, and a big long list from which to choose. But I got no suggestions. Either you don't buy online, your don't buy from Catholic businesses, or you're not sharing. Whatever the reason, I decided to post my own small list anyway. I have purchased (or been given gifts) from all of these vendors and been very happy with each and every item. I have included a link for you to learn about the owners of the business, and I have listed the items I have purchased. It's a short list, but maybe you'll find something you're looking for from one of these good Catholic businesses.


Link
Aquinas & More (about them) ....Christmas cards and books

Catholic company (about them) ...jewelry, scapulars, books, holy cards, crucifixes (for the car), Baptismal gifts, audio tapes (Glory Stories), Confirmation gifts, Christmas ornaments
Link
Ministry of the Arts (about them) ...jewelry (in particular, this beautiful bracelet which I gave to my mother several years ago and it still looks beautiful after much wear)

Catholic Supply of St. Louis (about them) ...Christmas cards, sacramental, gifts, Christmas/Advent decorations

Autom (about them) ...jewelry, a nativity, saint medals, books

Monastery Candy made by the nuns of Our Lady of the Mississippi Abbey (about them) ... every year I buy caramels and chocolates to give to friends and relatives (and to keep). I have never been unhappy with anything I have eaten that they have made. Any other caramel will taste pale in comparison once you have tried these.

Gethsemani Farms (about them) ...each year our beloved friend Msgr. Bennett gave us a gift of Bourbon Fudge with the demand "do not reciprocate." Of course, we always did, with a gift certificate to his favorite restaurant, and Doug would think of his fine friend each time he pulled out his box of fudge for a little "nip." Peach thoroughly enjoys it too and I guess this year we'll have to place our own order.

Mount Angel Abbey (about them) ...a lovely woman for whom I made a rosary sent me, in return, the nicest soap and candle from this abbey. A lovely bar of peppermint oatmeal soap that I keep by my kitchen sink and a candle that my oldest son assures me smells like Jesus (it is scented with Frankincense and Myrrh). They don't have an online store, but I'm betting they'll ship to you if you call them.


If you have a name to add to this list, just email me or leave a comment -- I'd love to know of other Catholic businesses to support.



UPDATED: I knew you would come up with a few suggestions, and I have added the following to this post:

Monica suggests Our Lady of the Monastery in Crozet, Virginia, for Gouda cheese. You can email them at this address, cheese@olamonastery.org , to receive a brochure.

Dirtdartwife suggests a local store, Soul Supply and Hardware for all things Catholic. They don't have an online store, but it appears as though you can use this email address, , and order anything.

Journey of Truth recommends Trade Mark Stationery (about them)... for papers, envelopes, cards, holy cards, stickers, and even throws.

And Journey of Truth reminded me of Ignatius Press, which I have also used before for videos. They have some awesome movies -- many you'll have a hard time finding elsewhere -- and some great CDs -- they have a great selection of my favorite, Gregorian Chant.

Jamie suggested Catholic Rubber Stamps (about them), as well as Betsy Ann Chocolates, who sells a chocolate rosary.

And I meant to include James Hahn's rosaries (honest I did, Jim) but forgot. He makes twine rosaries in many colors, and also has a great book, Rosary Meditations for Real Life, which I am privileged to own.

I am happy to custom make a beaded rosary for anyone in need, but since this is not a business for me, and I don't make a profit to help support my family, I defer to those who do (however, if you need a quality rosary for less than retail cost, I'm happy to help).

And another one I just remembered is the gift of Magnificat. My mom asked me for a new bible this year, and I'm going to also give her a year's subscription -- it's an awesome gift! They have gorgeous greeting cards, too, that are a really nice gift, as well as Christmas cards.



Another UPDATE: If you read my blog on Google Reader, I'm afraid you may get tired of seeing this post. Happily though, if you see it again it means I've added a new name to the list.

I remembered Catholic to the Max.com this afternoon when I made a cup of coffee (about them) ... I don't think I've ever ordered from their website, but I have purchased their products at our local Catholic gift shop, and from another Catholic vendor -- and they are very nice. Their coffee mugs are $8 and I can tell you that I have used mine every day (at least once a day) for a year and the image looks brand new.

SFO Mom suggested Mystic Monk coffee (about them)... for their fabulous coffee beans.

Barb also suggested the planners at Family-Centered Press, and I know that the wonderful Catholic family who is running the business can use extra support right now.

And another suggestion from SFO Mom is Canticle Magazine, which she says is a winner for moms (about them).

And the final great pick by Barb is music by The Priests (about them). You can listen to a sample on their website, and I have to admit it sounds great. Their website has a link to this Amazon page to purchase the CD. I checked and you can also get it at iTunes. I think they just made a sale!

Crafty P suggested a subscription to Faith and Family magazine (published by Circle Media) and Laywitness Magazine (published by Catholic United for the Faith).

Crafty P also suggested Laser Monks.com. I don't know anyone with a printer cartridge on their Christmas list, but they do offer some other items (about them).

And I snuck a peak (or a listen) at artist Matt Maher's new CD, and it's good stuff. You can buy it on his website, or download at iTunes (about him).

Angoraknitter reminded me that many Etsy crafters are Catholic:
Sewmelody's baby blankets; Little Flower Art paintings; Mary's Childrens Rosaries; and Angora Knitter herself for her little girl dresses.

And I can't believe I forgot my favorite seamstress' Etsy site. I personally guarantee her stuff to be gorgeous and top-notch!

In the book department, I want to mention:

Kathleen Miller, of the Daily Grotto, is a Usborne rep. Find Usborne books here.

And Michelle reminded me of Dumb Ox books.





.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for putting this list together. For cheese lovers like myself, Our Lady of the Angels Monastery in Crozet, VA (Cistercian order) offers a wonderful 2 lb wheel of Gouda cheese. You can email community@olamonastery.org for ordering information.
    -Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have http://www.soulsupplyandhardware.com/home here that I frequent. But she sells pretty much anything Catholic and if she doesn't have it, she can get it for you. Wonderful women that work there and I love going in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trademark Stationery. Great products (papers, envelopes, cards, holy cards, stickers, and even throws). I've bought stuff for me and recently, a throw blanket for my friend, Dawn, at a helping hand blog.

    Ignatius Press - books and DVD's. Just bought DVD's for my dad's birthday and Christmas. Great selection of Catholic books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. catholicrubberstamps.com

    (for children or the stamper in your life)

    Betsyann.com

    (she sells chocolate rosaries, so I'm sure they are Catholic and the chocolates look divine!)

    Don't forget your own beautiful rosaries!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would humbly suggest www.realliferosary.com for handcrafted cord rosaries and my meditation book Rosary Meditations for Real Life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Betsy Ann Chocolates is one of my favorites, they're local to me (Pittsburgher!) and are owned by a Catholic family. I buy my mother in law truffles every year for her birthday. THe cookies 'n cream are my favorite. They're also one of the only ones around that have chocolate covered Brazil nuts! mmmm...

    HOw about a subscription to Faith and Family? or Laywitness? You need to become a member of Laywitness and then they send you subscription of their wonderful magazine. You also get a percentage off of books!

    Great list!

    oh one more, I've ordered ink from Laser Monks, think I heard about them on EWTN.

    OH wait, how about music? Matt Maher's newest cd, Empty and Beautiful came out this summer. It's fabulous and he's Catholic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mysticmonks.com coffee FABULOUS coffee, price is great, and it supports a monastery.

    familycentered.com for some wonderful planners. Just got mine. It's well-made and the design is excellent.

    Canticle magazine would be a nice gift for a mom. lhla.org/canticle

    More Catholic recording artists: THE PRIESTS

    I've also ordered ink from lasermonks.com and am very satisfied with their prices and service.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mostly, the Catholic shop owners I know of are on Etsy.com, cause that's where I frequent the most for obvious reasons.
    1. sewmelody.etsy.com makes minky baby blankets
    2. LittleFlowerArt.etsy.com hand pantings & she goes to my church
    3. Maryschildren.etsy.com makes rosaries, ect.
    4. angoraknitter.etsy.com opps, that's my shop, I make dresses...though I'm not really working on them much these days. I have a few in my shop I need cleared out before my move this winter :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Barbara-
    I use Google reader and it doesn't come because it is not a new post.
    SO no one will get tired of it! (they wouldn't anyway!)

    I use google reader to read, but then come over to comment, I can't resist! It saves me time of checking blogs that have not posted new things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dumb Ox is a Catholic homeschool family owned business. They produce wonderful family advent calendars as well as other devotionals aids(their Lenten calendar is wonderful) and they also have a Novena calendar for next year.

    Tan Publishing has great books.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!