Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Thursday, April 03, 2008

A Child's Prayer

.

Today I share with you, my friend, one of the most precious projects I've done with my children since we began home schooling.

The other day I was looking for something in a basket of "stuff" that I keep near the phone when I came upon these prayer cards that we made way back when. I am embarrassed that they were in a basket -- they should be somewhere I can see them all the time. They are a precious memento of a time in our schooling when one of my children learned a skill he will keep for life -- the ability to put words together, inspired entirely by personal feeling, meant only for God -- personal prayer.

Our children learn to pray when they are young. And a child's Guardian Angel prayer or bedtime prayer is sweet beyond words. But when a child learns to talk to God -- person to person -- that's a really beautiful thing. Sadly I'm not sure my children really learned how to do that until we began home schooling. But better late than never.

The cards pictured here were made by Francis.



The third card I found was a little hard to read, so I'll type the words for you. It's a cross between a prayer and a poem, but that style is very "Francesesque." I have hope that this young man is my future priest -- I really think he has it in him.

I thank you, God,
for this good day, with time for work,
and time for play.
I thank you for the morning light
and all that makes the world so bright.
Help me to live this lovely day
in such a kind and friendly way.
You will be glad that I'm here,
to help you fill the world with cheer.
Amen.

This is a very simple project; maybe you've done it before, too. A white index card is all that's needed. A having them laminated after the children are finished helps make them much more keep-able. I'm not a crafty mom -- I sheepishly admit I abhor the mess. But this is something anyone can do, and children seem to be especially good at it. I think it's time for us to do it again -- we have a whole new batch of prayers to write down for keeps.


.

3 comments:

  1. That is so beautiful Barbara. Thank you for the inspiring idea! I don't think my kids are old enough yet, but we will try. I've been trying it at bedtime, they need a lot of coaching right now! That is ok though, these we could do every year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome, Jamie. I think once the children begin, they really run with it. If they are too young to write, have them draw a picture and you can write the words.

    My little Peach breaks into spontaneous prayer all the time now -- if she hears a siren she prays for someone who might be hurt. If she hears me say somone is ill, she prays for them. It's very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Playing a little "catch up" on your blog this early morning. Just wanted to say that I love this prayer. How often do we think to be aware that we "fill the world with cheer" and God is happy for that? Just precious.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!