Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Sunday, March 30, 2008

Such a Gem

.

I told you yesterday that I was off to see my grandma. She's 91 years old, we share a birthday, and she is one of my most favorite people on earth. She is the least selfish person I know; she is completely content with whatever she has. I don't know if that's what makes her one of my favorites, but it's truly very endearing.

Peach traveled with my mom and I to see my grandma -- four generations of strong German women all together in the same room. I can't tell you how wonderful it was.

In the manner of little children, Peach asked lots of questions. She was standing next to my grandma, running her hand up and down my grandma's arm when she asked me, "why does great-grandma have bumpy skin? (wrinkles)" My mother answered that great-grandma has wrinkled skin just like she does (and she showed Peach some of her own wrinkles). My grandma laughed at the question, completely unput off.

My grandma said one of her friends recently asked he if she ever thought she'd be as old as she was, and my grandma replied, "I never even thought about it; I was just busy doing what had to be done."

The Lord render unto thee for thy work, and mayest thou receive a full reward of the Lord the God of Israel, to whom thou art come, and under whose wings thou art fled. Ruth 2:12


I also saw Jill yesterday and she looked beautiful, but very thin. She's trying to get strong for her surgery, which is likely sooner than later. Doctors at the Comprehensive Cancer Center in Texas are looking at new CT scans, which show that the tumor is significantly smaller. They have told her to prepare for a couple months in Texas. Your continued prayers are much appreciated.

I can do all these things in him who strengtheneth me. Phil 4:13


.

3 comments:

  1. I love the quote by your grandma about just doing what had to be done.

    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blessing to have all those women together! Continued prayers for Jill...

    God Bless,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara, please know that I continue to keep Jill in my daily prayers. I'm happy to hear her tumor is smaller.

    My cousin, Rene, will also be having surgery (within the next 2 weeks) for removal of the malignant tumor in his sinus cavity. His tumor was 4 cm x 3.5 cm just prior to radiation and chemo...it's now 2mm x 3mm - a significant reduction...I remain very hopeful for both he and Jill. :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!