Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Saturday, January 21, 2017

Cheap Eats -- Chinese


I'm sure you know that when the budget gets tight, the belt always gets cinched around the grocery allotment. The mortgage can't shrink, but food prices are high and low, and low we go.

After New Years I bought an enormous pork roast on sale for $13.99. I cut it into two pork roasts, two meals of scallopini slices, and two pieces for stir fry meat -- six meals for $13.99. My mom bought me a Food Saver a few months ago, so after I cut it up I wrapped it all using the Food Saver, and today I pulled out a package for stir fry. It was about a one-pound chunk. A small package of pork chops would do the trick, as well.

I tried a new recipe for stir-fry and it was so delicious, my husband said he could eat it every week -- something he never says. It was really good -- restaurant-quality good, so I thought I'd share. I changed the original recipe because it called for some pricier veggies, but mine tasted just great, and they were cheap! Use what you have, or what's available, inexpensively.




I served our pork stir-fry with rice, but noodles would be good too.


Crispy Pork Stir Fry
serves 4 (or more with more veggies)

1  lb. pork, thinly sliced and cut into 1/4" strips

1/2 t. Salt

1/3 c. cornstarch

2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 anchovy fillet, chopped (or 1 t. anchovie paste)
1-inch piece ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
6 T. brown sugar
6 T. soy sauce
1/2 t. freshly ground black pepper
canola oil
1-½ cups thinly-sliced cabbage
2 carrots, peeled and sliced thinly on the diagonal
one-half small onion sliced vertically
¾ cup frozen thin green beans


In the bowl of a mini prep food processor, add garlic, anchovy, ginger, brown sugar, soy sauce, and black pepper. Pulse until well blended and set aside.

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 T. oil and cook all the vegetables until tender, about 3-5 min.
Return skillet to high heat and add 1 tablespoon oil. When oil is almost smoking, add the pork. Sauté until cooked through and pork is crispy, about 5 minutes. Reduce to medium heat, return vegetables and half the sauce. Stir quickly to coat the pork and vegetables in the glaze. (Watch carefully, as the sauce can burn due to the sugar.) If you want more sauce, add the balance. Serve with rice or noodles.

4 comments:

  1. Im going to try this! I love stir fry for making a meal out of bits and pieces but it's generally kinda...ok. Not great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's usually how I feel about stir-fry at home, but this one was really good.

      Delete
  2. I love making stir fry, it's so cheap and filling! I also find that adding a few Asian seasonings to the grocery list (as the budget permits) helps to make the meal more "take out" feeling (so like a splurge).

    Fish sauce, sesame oil, soy sauce, chili sauce (like Sriracha), and powdered ginger are fairly inexpensive and go a long way. Adding Chinese five spice or star anise is great too.

    I recently discovered Korean Beef made with ground beef. I can pick ground beef up for under $2/lb right now and with the addition of veggies, I can stretch three pounds out for two meals for our family of seven eaters.

    Does your family like Indian food? I have found that I can do that with cheap chicken cuts for fairly cheap. The base is tomatoes and spices, but I add zucchini or yellow squash and you can't tell! It spreads out the sauce for a few meals as well.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!