Well, it took getting back to a normal schedule to snap me out of my chaos. Rather than lazing around the house during my last two weeks of summer, I've been crazy busy. Just when I thought I'd have all my projects just about wrapped up for the start of school, I was commissioned for a huge knitting job. I've never been hired for knitting, so I'm not sure how this is all going to work out, but a woman down south asked if she could pay me to knit her granddaughter (due December 30) a layette of two sweaters, a hat, booties, and bib in four colors to match gowns she is having smocked by a friend down south. It took me a day to work out all the details, but now I have ordered the yarn and I am speed knitting a sweater for my cousin's little girl, Margot, so that when the yarn arrives I can get started. In the meantime I have other jobs to get in the mail. Busy, busy, busy.
Today is the first day of school, so I thought I better get back to the blog. I can't believe it's been vacant for over two weeks.
Miss Faith this morning with her Schultüte
It's hard to believe Faith is in eighth grade. When the boys were homeschooled, we always had a goal. We always knew we wanted them to go to St. Charles. They all made it there; they all graduated. Our city does not have an all-girls Catholic high school, but when Faith was born we were certain by the time she was 14, we would have one. The bishop will not support an all-girls school, but twice since she was little, groups of parents have tried to pull one together. It's never been successful, so we don't have an all-girls Catholic choice. I am a staunch advocate for same-sex education, and without that choice we have some decisions to make. Faith wants to stay home for high school, though I have never really wanted to homeschool high school. She wants to dance a lot more than she would be able to if she was in school, and if she starts to teach (our studio has an apprentice program) she would really be limiting herself by attending school. Yet, it's not entirely her decision. We have a good Catholic high school, though it's not geographically our high school, so she'd have to be released from our high school and travel farther to attend the high school we prefer.
So, big decisions ahead. If only we could see the future, right? This year will be a test year. I had a heart-to-heart (or maybe more tête-à-tête with more banging involved) with Faith and told her that if she wants to stay home for high school then she is going to have to really buckle down in school and show me that she is capable of working independently and diligently, as well as in dance.
Say a prayer for me, would you?