Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Schultüte-- First Day Treat

.

Doug's nephew started first grade today in a local Catholic day school in German Village, and Doug's mom told me that he was anticipating receiving his Schultüte, which he knew he would get on his first day. She told me that each first-grader in the school gets one, following the German tradition. We talked about the possible translations, thinking "schul" must mean school and wondering what "tüte" could mean. I finally got nosy enough to Google it.

Schultüte translates to "school cone" also called "sweet cone" or "sweet bag." The tradition began in Germany (you can read about it here and here) where first-graders picked the cones from a tree, with the understanding that when the "fruits" on the tree were ripe enough to be picked, you were big enough to go to school. I think it's a darling tradition, and have decided that it would be a fun tradition to start in our home. From what I read, it seems the tradition has extended to all of the children, so both of my students will get one as well. I might even have to create one for my 10th grader (even though he already started), as well as my college student. I bet he'd be the only one in the dorm with one.

For my Schultüte tutorial go here.


.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, we used to live in Germany, and every year at back to school time, the stores would be filled with the brightly colored cones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a nice custom. We have done it and used poster board to fold into large cones and stuff with bright tissue paper and colors. Older kids enjoy oh...scientific calculators and Funyuns :) I have a post on it somewhere at my blog from a few years ago; I must find it and re-post! :-)

    It is that time of year again, isn't it: school beginnings!

    Blessings,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, the college boy needs one...fill with with goodies to eat...fine pens and pencils...and lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea!! I think I saw this in Family Fun magazine at the library this past week too!

    They look just like my May day baskets!!

    I might have to add this to our first day too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wondertime magazoine also had a great article about them this month too

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!