Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Thursday, December 08, 2011

(12/8)...streaming




Happy Feast of the Immaculate Conception. I love this feast, not only because it's Mary's day (and I consecrated myself to her last year on this day!), but because today is all about salvation. Mary was saved from hell the same as all of us, except she was saved before she was even conceived. What a beautiful and complex mystery. On days like today I think there is just nothing like being Catholic. Oh, and the music...happy sigh.

~~~~~


Advent is just flying by, don't you think? I mean, my goodness, three days to Gaudete Sunday. Makes me quiver in my boots. Well...if I had boots. Must start wrapping and finish shopping. ASAP.


~~~~~

And speaking of gifts, for the first time in our 26-year marriage, my sweetheart and I exchanged Christmas gifts on St. Nicholas Day. My sweetheart suggested that we do it, and I'm not certain if it was because he was excited for what he bought me or excited to get what he asked for. Frankly, the gift exchange between the two of us on Christmas Day is often very "squished in" between the children opening gifts and a meal of some sort after Mass. It always feels like an after thought, so I am really glad he suggested it.

And so you ask, what did I get?




I



got



one



of







It's awesome. I bought Doug an iPad for his birthday a few weeks ago, and so we now, essentially, have two pads. We almost never, ever buy these kinds of things, so I don't imagine we'll do it again for like 26 years. I was a real hold-out on the Kindle, didn't want to read any book on an electronic device, but my son Geoffrey bought one with his birthday money as soon as they came out and over Thanksgiving he sold me. The only thing that still bugs me about it is that when I buy an e-book, I can't share it. I always pass my books on -- it justifies me spending the money. But being Amazon Prime members, I can borrow books, and there are quite a number of free titles available.



~~~~~~

Last night I was browsing through apps on the Kindle and came across Words With Friends. Oh my. We are all addicted and even the kids have games going with various people, including their grandma. How fun to play Scrabble with grandma, whenever you want.

Do you play? Are you addicted? I am hoping it wears off, but not for a month or so, because it's so fun. And I really stink at Scrabble. If you play, find me -- I'm scmom4. I'd love to play!


I'm off to work on some rosaries, and knitting, and rosaries, and to check my Words W/ Friends!


PS (like 12 hours post): Please remember my Joshua in prayer, if you would. We are off to the doctor again this morning. A migraine broke the normal pattern of his headaches and, I think, changed the doc's thinking in regard to what is causing them.

11 comments:

  1. Funny, I just received a Kindle Fire today :) I had an earlier version of a Kindle, but my dh surprised me with a Fire and I will pass the other to my kids. I have been addicted to Words with Friends for several weeks now. I'm terrible at Scrabble too, but I love Words with Friends. I am Jen4ever4always, I will look you up!!

    Happy Feast of the Immaculate Conception!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Awesome gift! Let me know what you think of it as we are thinking about getting either the Kindle Fire or the newest (color) Nook. Mainly it will be for family use and not just for one person.

    I'm on Words with Friends! I'll be looking you up! I was very addicted a few months back, but now it's settled down to a normal level of enjoyment. ;)
    I'm also now playing Hanging with Friends. It's similar and made by the same people. My sister in-law talked me into giving it a try after I talked her into playing Words with Friends with me. I REALLY like it and as of right now it is my favorite game. You should check it out. I'd love to play with you on that as well. Right now I only have a game going with my sis in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool. I am also wondering which one is better...kindle or nook.

    ENJOY!

    ps...get some boots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I don't have boots either. I live in Minnesota, and I don't have boots! What is wrong with that picture?! LOL!

    (Guess what's on my wish list this year?)

    Awesome St. Nick gift from your DH! I'd love a Kindle ... one of these days! Boots should probably come first =)

    Happy Feast of the Immaculate Conception!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, that is funny - you are all so gadget-y. We are with some things, but I haven't jumped on the electronic reader train yet. Looks neat though. So I am so ignorant, but there are some things about our Faith I just don't understand - or comprehend. I don't understand what it means to consecrate yourself to Mary. I know it's a process; I have this booklet, but I just don't get it. Oh well, one day I probably will figure it all out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun gift! That's what we (my sibs and myself) are getting my dad for Christmas. Good to know it's awesome. :)

    And I am so on board WWF with you! I am so bad at it, but if you see a game from homefrontcorp, then that's me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No Kindle yet, but if I get one, I'll look you up. Having been a prot, I am still learning about Mary, but I do love her so! We had Eucharistic Exposition, Adoration, and Benediction last night as well as the Mass, so it was an amazing evening. And the music was wonderful! --- Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  8. The music! Oh my goodness...the music....was AWFUL! I met dh at our parish (instead of the other parish!) for Mass. I'd never seen or heard this guy before but he was really something. His southern accent was so strong, I could barely understand him when he was talking. He sounded like Kenny Rogers when singing---and Kenny is fine for country music, but not MASS. He didn't even sing the new Mass that we've learned; he sang an old one that had been re-written, so no one knew how the new words fit in. It was terrible. Thanks be to God we had a visiting priest, one of our old parochial vicars, who sang his parts, was very reverent, and gave an excellent homily.

    I'll play WWF with you. I'll look you up! I have a lot of games going. Sometimes people drop in and out, and that's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of free e-books at gutenberg.org too if you haven't already checked it out. Coveting a kindle fire myself. Right now we just have the software for the PC for both Kindle and Nook on the laptop. Happy almost Gaudete Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Prayers for your Joshua

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a great idea to exchange gifts with your hubby on a different day from the kids..

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!