Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Yarning Along...

...with Ginny at Small Things.


Today I am working on a hat for my nephew. It's my second hat in a week, though a different pattern than the other. The teenage boys (other than my own) are getting hats and cash for Christmas this year. That seems to be all teenage boys want these days, besides teenage girls.

I have never knit this hat pattern before but I like it -- other than the changing colors, but then that's what makes it fun (to wear), right? Speaking of changing colors, I wonder, do you weave your loose ends in as you knit or do it at the end? There was so much changing of colors in this pattern that I finally stopped and untangled all the ends and wove them in. The patterns always tell you to do it at the end, but sometimes I can't stand looking at the mess anymore.

My colors are Knitpicks Shine Worsted in Robot, Black and Serrano. In my house, and with my nephews, those colors are scarlet and gray (and black).

My read is The Immortal Life of Henrietta Black by Rebecca Skloot. I am only a few chapters in but it is fascinating reading. Just a little hint, Henrietta Black is the donor of (unbeknownst to her) the first immortal human cells grown outside the human body. The story is hers and her family's and that of medical science since 1951. It is amazing to me that it has only been 60 years since science first began growing cells outside of the body. Her cells are still alive today, though she has been dead for 60 years.

Faith and I are feeling a little under the weather today, so we are having tea and Cinnamon toast. Faith likes Candy Cane, but I am really enjoying Twinings Christmas Tea. They had me at the cloves. Mmmmm.

Join Ginny for more knits and yarns.

13 comments:

  1. LOVE the Christmas Tea! Hope you & Faith are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful knitting! Ive picked back up knitting this fall after a hiatus since 4th grade :) I did a great hat this weekend in the round but nearly had to go to confession when it got small at the top and I switched to dpn's. I muddled through but before I start the next hat for the jealous 2nd daughter I wonder if you have any dpn wisdom to impart?? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing. I am knitting hats for the men in my life too. HOpe you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you and your daughter are feeling better soon! I love the colors and pattern of your hat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hat looks great, Barbara! I hope you and Faith are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you feel better, and enjoy your tea. I might have to try that tea; the cloves sound wonderful to me, too!

    I always weave in ends as I go. I don't relish having that tedious job to do after I've "finished' something and am ready to wear it or move on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barb, thanks for kind thoughts. Well enough for Mass today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Liz,
    I love dpns. Not because I love having a bunch of pointy sticks in my hands all pointing different directions but because it really is the best way to get a nice round circle. The last hat I knitted called for a 16" circular needle and I nearly had to go to Confession! :-) you can not finish the top of a hat with a circular needle. Bad pattern!

    Anyway, my only tips are: 1) get yourself some of those little stoppers you see on my needles. I really should have them on both ends but I was too lazy to get up and retieve more from my bag. They are great. 2) when you knit, each time you get to the end of a needle, before you start knitting on the empty needle, knit just one or two stitches from the next needle. That will prevent you from getting any kind of separation line in your finished product. Knitting help is a great resource btw ( http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques )
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Plain and Joyful! Enjoy your hats. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Kelly. They are pretty much our standard colors around here. Most of my laundry is scarlet & gray!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sarah, thanks. Doing better today. Well enough for school and Mass anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sara, the tea is wonderful but I really love cloves! I'm glad to know I am not the only one who likes the finished product to look "finished."

    ReplyDelete
  13. That hat is super cute!! Good work!! I'm working on a hat right now too!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!