Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Daybook

.
Outside my window...
...hot and steamy. After storms late yesterday it feels like a tropical rain forest. All of the window are fogged up on the outside. Did I mention I can't wait for Autumn?


I am thinking... 
...about trying to make something out of the rest of this summer. I feel like we are getting nothing accomplished, except directing children who don't listen the first time. Is there an Obedience Boot Camp we can send them to?


I am thankful for... 
...air conditioning

...a new look from Blogger -- just a few clicks of a button

...prayers

...hot, (strong) black coffee, always


From the lesson plans...
...we've done no lessons since Faith came down with a sore throat (week before) last Wednesday.
Ditto this week (except for bedtime reading) and we need to get some work done or she will slip in her math especially.


From the kitchen...
...Sliders for dinner, and fresh fruit. It's about this time of year that I get tired of summer food. I like the ease of meals and grilling out, but I crave the comforting dishes of the autumn and winter menus. Fortunately there is homemade ice cream in the summer to keep us happy.

I am wearing...
...black crops, blue top, scapular, Birkies.

I am creating...
...still working on the baby quilt -- almost finished piecing one. I have a long way to go to get two finished so I need to just work on them. The problem is that the sewing table is in the basement and every time I go down there I feel guilty for not working on the basement and so I just leave and find something else to do.


I am reading...
...The Distant Hours by Kate Morton the author of The Forgotten Garden. I am somewhat bored (not somewhat -- definitely) by this book but I keep reading because I am hopeful that it will get better. Is that stupid? I usually say life is too short to read a boring book, but I so loved The Forgotten Garden I feel sure it's going to take a turn. I am two-thirds through, what do you think? ;-)


I am hoping...
...that the repairman can fix my dishwasher today. Yes, my brand new (two months old) dishwasher is on the blink. I am so tired of washing dishes, yet, I feel maybe it's my destiny.


I am hearing...
...Faith and a little friend out back. Even outdoors little girls play so differently from little boys. Sweet. That may sound stupid to some, but I was so sure (before I had a girl) that girls and boys were more the same than different. After nine years of a girl, I think not.


Around the house...
...laundry to catch up on, as always. Yesterday I did no laundry and today I had to rewash the load in the washer. No hanging out today -- not a thing would dry in this humidity.


I am going...
...absolutely no where. Waiting for the dishwasher guy.


One of my favorite things...
...homemade ice cream (strawberry!)

...a free day (free from getting in the car)

...a bowl of cherries, dark red and sweet

...fairy tales (and a little reminder from Leila)

...Our Blessed Mother. Always.




I am praying for...
...my children, especially Noah who is giving me a lot of angst these days, and my husband
...my sore back -- I have no idea what I did to it

...my mother-in-law recovering from hip replacement

...Doug's Uncle Walt who just received news that he is currently cancer free. God is so very good (all the time)!

...a certain woman who attends our parish (ya know...)

...our priests and all religious

...several soldiers

...all of the babies whose mothers are contemplating abortion this week



A few plans for the rest of the week...
...I'm going to be creating some chore charts -- yes even for my big, grown kids. I absolutely have to force these kids to help me around the house and without the reminder of a chore chart I just do it all myself. How stupid am I?


Thought for the day...
"A good person out of the store of goodness in his heart produces good, but an evil person out of a store of evil produces evil; for from the fullness of the heart the mouth speaks." Luke 6:45


.

6 comments:

  1. Barb, you sound sad today. I'll be keeping you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barb!
    I'm thinking of chore charts as well....I'd be interested in yours:)
    Hang in there with the heat and humidity.
    We shall keep you and your family in our prayers.
    Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must be some summer bug...my kids seem to need obedience boot camp too.

    I can't wait for Autumn as well. And hot food, instead of room temperature (which is hot!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Autumn is a long way off from me...but I still look forward to it. I too, am tiring of summer food...but don't feel like cooking gumbos and soups - too hot even with a/c. Obedience Boot Camp...sounds like a good thing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been searching for a 'Common Sense' Boot Camp ... will let you know if I find one on Obedience!

    As for stupid, NO! You are not. You're a mom who, like the rest of us, cannot stand to wait around in a mess until the eyes of our children are opened. There's nothing like a messy house to make me cranky and irritable...

    Cannot agree more about Autumn, as long as the temps are in the mid 70's it's much more comfortable for man and beast. My glasses have been fogging up upon going out, too! I just have to open the door to my attached garage to get the effect. Ugghhhhh ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. BTW, Barb, on my confession list this past Saturday was something about not making my children do what they're supposed to do (chores and general obedience). Sometimes it's just easier to load the dishwasher instead of finding the boy who should have done it. It's not just you.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!