Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Friday, August 06, 2010

Seven Quick Takes Friday





Every Friday comes around and I am wasted and dry -- nothing to offer here. This week, however, was action packed, though that's not necessarily a good thing.


-1-

Monday was good. My mom came (bearing Panera coffee and a Blueberry Scone) and we painted the entire kitchen. It's fresh and clean and the color of Custard Cream (yum!). Doug replaced all the switches and outlets (one of those things you just have to do when a house is 25 years old). I'm waiting on copper wall plates that I ordered and then the kitchen will be completely finished.

-2-

On Tuesday, I removed the shelves from the pantry, repaired the walls, painted them, and replaced the shelves with commercial grade free-standing shelves. It looks great and I feel very organized.

-3-

On Tuesday, while I was painting the pantry, the dog ate the paint off the foyer walls. Yes, you read that correctly. "Why?" I asked about 100 times. Why would a dog eat paint off the wall? She's probably not getting enough exercise, but really? The paint off the freshly painted walls? I present Exhibit A:




Because the top coat was fresh, the paint stretched when she pulled. She took it right down to the original coat of paint. And then she ate it.



And she lived to tell about it.

-4-

Fortunately, after asking 100 times "Why?" Doug repaired the wall. Pretty good, huh? If he ever loses his job as a professional Catholic panhandler, he could be a painter.




-5-

After just a few weeks with bare bulbs in my chandelier, I found shades. You'll never believe where I found them. See number 6.




-6-

Yesterday I went to the Salvation Army Thrift Store for the first time in my life. I'd never been "thrifting." I've been to second-hand stores and antique shops, but never thrift stores. College boy, however, needs some furniture for his apartment this fall and we're going to have to buy cheap, cheap. I didn't find anything for college boy, but I found brand new, still-in-the-wrapper chandelier shades for $2 apiece. How weird is that?


-7-

Yesterday as I was running into the grocery store my cell phone rang. It was Doug telling me he'd been in a car accident. Thankfully he was not injured. The car, however, was very injured. He ran into the back of a pick-up truck with the tailgate down. Crunch. The driver of the pick-up said he was fine, but then he spoke to his wife on the phone and decided he might not be fine. Ugh. It infuriates me to think of one person taking advantage of another, and there is nothing we can do. And I'm certain it happens all the time.

Not to end this Quick Takes on a sour note, I leave you with my motto this week:

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, on your own intelligence rely not; In all your ways be mindful of him, and he will make straight your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6

Have a glorious weekend, dear friend. Love each other with all your might, and trust in God in all things.


Go see Jen for more Quick Takes.
.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I saw an "after the accident" the other day, looked like a Samoli man ran into a fancy business man and he barely hit him, I could tell, but the fancy man was on the phone ranting and raving hands just a swinging. The Samoli man was looking trying to see the scratches. (I could tell) (we have a lot of people from Samoli here in MN)

    I prayed for them.

    the world has their treasures in such frivolous things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie, We have a large Samolian population in Columbus, too. I find it to be odd, frankly. Why Columbus, why Minnesota? Anyway, yes, "the world has their treasures" on this earth and I get truly bugged by the injustice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. #6 Now you're going to get the fever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara,
    I just don't think so. You see, I hate to shop. But, I'll let you know if that changes. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear of the accident (and the dog eating the paint!) Hopefully the guy's doctor will not buy into the whole injury thing.
    Big Brother got rear-ended at the end of June and cosmetically the car looked OK, but immediately there were effects (like loud engine noise and the check engine light on). If that hadn't happened we wouldn't have filed a claim, but the repair promises to be expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad the dog (and your husband) are ok! Boy...you did have a busy week! Here's to your restful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praising God that your good man wasn't injured in the accident!

    And just can't get past "the dog ate the paint off the wall..."

    HAHAHA! Sorry to laugh, after all that hard work, but that's one of the funnier things I've read all week! And repaired so beautifully...

    So glad your "freshening" projects are coming together. May you have a weekend of rest and relaxation...

    ReplyDelete
  8. wasted?
    and dry?
    silly barb!
    you are never either!
    love that color choice and your final words.
    happy weekend to you too.
    xo.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!