Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Friday, July 02, 2010

Contemplating America


.
I'm feeling kind of dry these days -- not much to say about anything. I've been in "observation mode." I prefer to just sit back and watch, absorb, contemplate. There is much to watch and wonder about.

But as I've been thinking, especially this week, as we approach our nation's Independence Day, I've made a list of "observations" -- things to be grateful for on this "Fourth" weekend, in the United States of America.

We're a nation of gripers these days. Nothing seems right, and I do my own share of griping, I admit. Yesterday, I was driving my children to see Toy Story 3 when I saw a bumper sticker. It said "Secede Texas," with one lone star. The owner of the vehicle (a big SUV style truck) was clearly someone in favor of the state of Texas leaving the Union -- someone who loves Texas. I was mildly taken aback and had to stop myself from trying to get a glimpse of the owner of the vehicle -- no judgment passed, just a big "wow."

What would make one think it is better NOT to be a state in these United States, and what would that entail? I thought. Clearly no taxes, right? No pushy government, But, also no benefits, no funds, no protection. No protection. Wow. That's a big thought.

And since I saw that bumper sticker, I've been trying to look at these United States from a different perspective. Not "what's wrong?" but "what's right? what's still good?" And my observations are below, some serious, some light. Please feel free to add your own in the com box.




We are free to gather, collect, assemble as a people. We can collect at church, in protest, in celebration, to watch a parade, to listen to a concert, have a picnic, watch a ball game, enjoy fireworks. We may gather to march, even at the doors to Congress, or on City Hall, to shout at, cheer about, complain vehemently, or sing loudly.

We defend the weak (albeit not a universal definition of "the weak"), fight for the rights of the oppressed, aid the needy. We support our neighbors, here and abroad. We reach out in friendship.

We have Coke. Cold Coke, with ice if desired. And cold beer. And hot barbecue. And fresh corn on the cob. And pie. :-)

We have choices all day, every day: what to eat, where to eat, who to visit, what to see, where to go, what to learn, what to say, what to buy, where to pray, when to pray, when to sleep.

We have oceans, lakes and streams, mountains and great, green fields, snow and sunshine, thunderstorms, and vast expanses of nature where the stars can be seen at night.

Peach says, "We have swimming pools."



In this country, we may not, unjustly, be imprisoned.



We may not be forced to work at a job we do not wish to work at.



We may have as many children as we want to have.



We have a military which is powerful, righteous, trustworthy, and faithful.



We have good farmers, policemen, firemen, doctors, nurses, inventors, teachers, clergy.



We have skyscrapers, red barns, covered bridges, dirt roads, fields of corn, ranches, enormous parks, and playgrounds.


We can fly our flag, sing our national anthem, praise our God, speak our truths.



Happy Fourth of July, my friends.







.

14 comments:

  1. Don't dwell on that bumper sticker too much. Texans and particularly THOSE kinds of Texans are known for their um... big talk. Whether or not it is true that Texans have a more independent spirit than folks from other states, I can't say, but if you grow up here, you are required to take at least three years of Texas history in school and that means three years of hearing that Texas is the only state to have been it's own country prior to annexation. I think that sticks with some people more than others.

    I think you are right. There is a lot still right in these united states and that should be celebrated. When you focus on the wrong all the time, then you easily start to feel like everything is always all wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be those history classes, Charlotte, because I can tell you I've never heard an Ohioan suggest seceding! I truly did not pass a judgmental thought against the "bumper sticker," just a "wow" -- what a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, thanks for the thankful things, I, too, will be thinking about these this weekend too now!

    God bless have a wonderful 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have the hope given to us that elections have consequences so when a bad person is put into an office, we can be assured that they might not last long.

    Aside from a few taxes, we are assured to receive a good portion of our paychecks that we worked hard to earn. Yes those taxes can feel steep at times but they don't take up the vast majority of our paychecks and we're not told where to put the rest of our money.

    We can homeschool and have the freedom to choose which curriculum, school or no curriculum we want our children to use.

    We can dress the way we want, although I wish some people would use more common sense and modesty... but we are free to dress how we feel comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Texans could definitely defend their own borders. Our national military would be sorry to see all those Texans go, but they can take care of themselves. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Jamie.

    Teresa, Good ones. And yes, those freedoms (freedom to dress the way we want) challenge us, too, don't they?

    Jennie C.
    I trust you know of what you speak! Maybe we should all move to Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Come on down! I'll brew some iced tea for you!

    And by the way, when I said "those kinds of Texans", I meant it affectionately! I just spent a weekend visiting one of "those kind of Texans" in the hospital! Gotta love 'em!: )

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have beautiful and faithful Catholic families like y'all! Happy 4th and let Freedom ring!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a transplanted NYer, I have to hand it to those Texans. I never understood why they were so darn proud of their state until I taught Texas History... and man, it blew my socks off. I decided then and there that they have every right to be tootin' their own horn.
    And thus I became a "native" at heart.
    :)
    Happy 4th to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Someday, dear Charlotte. Some day!

    You are too kind, Sarah. I feel the same about you!

    Good for you, Meg! I wish I felt that way about Ohio. Happy 4th to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great list, Barbara, and encapsulates not only what I love about the U.S. but also what I love about you. Mushy, I know, but I'm a patriot and always get mushy this time of year.

    Happy 4th, my friend! And may God bless & keep you & yours, today and always.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, my dear, mushy friend! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, sweet Barbara, just for the act of thinking on these reasons to be grateful. Not enough people do that these days.

    Happy Independece Day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maybe it's because my husband is in the National Guard, but we have been muttering quite a lot about the choices that Robert E Lee had to make, the justness of the cause of state's rights but the unfortunate reality that they hung their hats on an immoral issue (slavery), and the current direction our national government is heading which, if it continues unchecked, risks our ability to have so many of the freedoms you listed.

    I'm very interested to see what happens in the elections this year, and sincerely hope that good things come, because I hear the distant rumblings of civil war. Not trying to be alarmist, just what my ear to the ground hears. God preserve the Union, but more than that, God preserve our liberty.

    And we had decided almost year ago that if all heck breaks loose, we're moving to Texas!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!