Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Sampling Summer

.
Each year when I celebrate my birthday, that's when summer kicks in for me. Just past the summer solstice, these are some of the longest days of the year, fireflies are thick, petunias are lush, humidity is high. It's almost the Fourth of July -- anticipation is the flavor of the day.

Pictured is a taste of my celebration. And a pretty summer pie we enjoyed over the weekend. I'll post the recipe on my food blog.




My husband bought me a large wooden cutting board -- something I have needed (wanted) for a long time. My brother bought me that knife-- it's a really nice knife and it's really sharp (I've cut myself twice just on the bottom edge) and it slices through tomatoes like warm butter. Delightful.






A magnetic knife bar. Sharp.





Birthday daisies. Darling.






A beautiful, white serving platter from my in-laws -- I added the candles and the glass pebbles for table decor. It looks like ice. Cool.






Also from my in-laws, a study bible. Thoughtful.






Sweet love notes. Precious.






A tasty, summer, Key Lime Pie. Sweet.



.

20 comments:

  1. Oh, happy happy birthday Barbara, many blessings are prayed for you from me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!!Happy Summer! My husband who doesn't normally eat dessert said that he would like a key lime pie. I'm going to have to give it a shot. Pies are not my thing - I'm better with cookies and bars, and okay with cakes, although the altitude where I live gives me fits with those.

    May God bless you this year with His love and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday.
    Thankyou for sharing these lovley images of a family birthday
    I enjoyed the homely feel
    God Bless
    Gae

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jamie. You're sweet.

    Sheila, Thanks. Give it a try. It was easy peasy.

    Gae, thanks for commenting. And for birthday wishes. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday, Barbara! So glad you had a lovely day with your family :)

    And that pie looks so cool and yummy. Key Lime is one of Rob's favorites so I'll have to try the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Key lime pie is my favorite dessert (unless you make Key Lime Cheesecake)! A belated birthday blessing to you. Thank you for your gift of this blog. I truly enjoy my visits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday, Barbara! It looks like you had a wonderful celebration! May God bless you this year with grace, joy and love. You are a very special woman, and I am grateful to "know" you =)

    P.S. Key Lime Pie is one of my absolute favorite desserts! Yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday, Sweetie! What a lovely celebration. Key Lime pie is an awesome birthday choice. Might have to think about that for mine... And I love that platter with the candles!

    God bless you !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aimee, Thanks. The pie was a good one -- make that lovin' man some dessert!

    Oh, Jenny, I do have a Key Lime Cheesecake recipe. I'll have to dig it out and make it just so I can post it for you.

    Thank you, Sarah. You are so kind. Make yourself (and those babies) some pie.

    Thanks Sara. I guess it was a multiple dessert birthday. I had Caramel Buttermilk Cake (again!) on my birthday and Key Lime pie two days later.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday! Wishing you the best year yet, full of many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh! happy. happy. happy. day, dear one. i'd send you a whole tray of petit fours if i could. (i bought ready made fondant. so if you want to take that mama of the year award away from me that's ok.)
    that key lime pie looks so YUMMY!
    hope your day was filled with all of the blessings that you so deserve. you are one GREAT gal. and may HE give you many. many. more.
    xo across the miles!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Regan. You are darling.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope you had a fabulous birthday! May God bless you with good health and happiness in the year to come.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Barb, for your kind wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope you had a wonderful birthday! May God bless you with happiness and many more healthy years!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, I cannot believe I missed this post! My sis and niece are keeping me busy, happily, but I am so sorry to be late on wishing you the very best! Many hugs and a rosary being prayed for you today. May God grant you every good blessing and give you a heart to live the life He has planned for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you Teresa. Like my brother says, another birthday is much better than the alternative!

    Thank you, Sarah. You could not give me a better gift than prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Barb...I missed your birthday!! Happy birthday to one of my favorite Catholic mommy bloggers...God bless and keep you, now and always!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so sorry I missed your birthday! I was offline for a few days so I've been trying to catch up. Glad your day was so special and so blessed. I still wish you a happy birthday and keep you in my prayers. :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!