Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Friday, April 09, 2010

Two Movie Picks

We've had some spare time this week which I used to my benefit for my favorite past time -- movie watching. One was a Netflix pick and the other was a theater pick. I thought I'd pass on my thoughts so you might enjoy them, too.




The first was Children of Heaven, which Doug and I watched. The kids weren't interested, which was unfortunate because I think they would have enjoyed it. It's a simple story, but one of familial love. Two Iranian children, growing up poor, struggle when the boy loses the girl's only shoes. They share the boy's only pair until the boy, the oldest child solves the problem with courage and fortitude. Though not a religious theme -- the message is most definitely one consistent with a life spent loving and serving God. This film was subtitled, but was very easy to follow. There may have been one four-lettered word -- this review says there were three minor profanities, but I guess that depends upon your definition of profanity.





The second film I saw with the three youngest children, and though my 18-year-old son would be embarrassed to know I was telling, he enjoyed it. Giving the many trashy choices of movies he could have seen, I was thrilled that he agreed to see How to Train a Dragon with his younger brother and sister. When sitting through a movie made for juveniles, I often feel I'd rather have dental work done, but this one was actually enjoyable. I have a feeling that there may have been a political message in the movie (get to know your enemy, not kill him) but for the most part, I chose to ignore it and take it at face value. It was cute, but spirited. For little children, the scenes depicting dragon fights might be frightening.




.

6 comments:

  1. Barbara...we just saw "How to Train a Dragon" this week. I really liked it. For once...all three of mine sat still and didn't have to go to the bathroom for the whole movie (except Olivia...but she had to go just before the movie ended!). I, like you, will ignore any political message...however, I always love it when a character (in this case, Hiccup) is able to search inside of themselves and find who they are and what their purpose in life is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the way you do, rather go to the dentist than watch a child's movie, so I send my husband to do that. He loves it! While on our trip he needed a few hours to sit still and take it easy, so off I took him and three of ours to the Dragon movie. They all thought it real cute. Good for you though mama, you braved it. Me? I had a latte at a local bookstore...wink. And then I arrived promptly to pick them all up after they were done. (snicker)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to see it but I think only my youngest is interested. So, it's likely to end up in the Netflix queue when it comes out on dvd.
    @Renee - I think I'd have had a difficult choice. I love a book store and coffee. :) Tough choice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Babara,

    We saw Children of Heaven a couple of years back and I agree it was a simple story of a simple family. I think it had a great little message of love within a family...and I love movies like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we LOVED how to train a dragon.
    i wasn't sure.
    i had to take the baby for his birthday.
    but it kept me on the edge of my seat!
    and my "dragon slayer" wants a "toothless night fury dragon" of his own.
    for reals.
    don't tell anyone, but i think i'd even see it again!
    thanks for reminding me about netflix. i need to look for a movie with audrey hepburn about her becoming a nun. i can't remember the title but my mom watched it the other day and said it was so good and she wanted phia to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy,
    I was the only one who had to potty during our movie!

    Renee,
    My husband dislikes movies more than I! Ugh.

    Sarah, I was surprised that my big boys agreed. It was spring break, however, and they were mildly bored.

    I do too, Elizabeth. Life is Beautiful is in that category -- one of my faves.

    Regan,
    The Nun's Story -- don't know if it's out on DVD, though. Let me know if you find it!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!