Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Monday, March 22, 2010

New Worries

.
On the way to Mass yesterday, my husband and I were talking about the impending vote on the health care bill. We both agreed we never thought we'd actually see the day -- and not in a good way -- not like something you look forward to with anticipation, but instead we were filled with dread.

My husband works for a Catholic hospital system. In fact, he heads the foundation of all the Catholic hospitals in our Midwest capital city. His whole job changed yesterday with the passage of the bill, if he continues to have one, that is.

Since he began working for a hospital, a Catholic one especially, he has been pleased with the fact that through his hard work, the less fortunate receive medical care. The money he raises and distributes is used to help those without insurance, or lesser insurance, to receive the same medical care afforded to those who are insured. Last year, for example, his foundation raised the money to buy a beautiful new mobile medical bus -- one that travels all over the region delivering doctors, nurses, and medical care right to the neighborhoods of the neediest in our community. This year they are raising money for a mobile mammography bus that does the same thing. His donors have generously thought about those who have less and provided -- what Our Lord has asked us to do.

But, with the passage of the health care bill, the neediest in our communities will have to purchase their own health insurance (although, still, no one has told me how they will get blood from a rock). If we all have insurance, if we are all truly equal in that regard, then there is no need for Catholic hospital foundations as they function now, right? The Catholic hospital mission has always been to serve every person in need of care, irregardless of ability to pay. I suppose they are all just thrilled that everyone will be able to pay all by themselves now. Pardon my cynicism, but I can't believe anyone thinks this is somehow all going to just happen -- did Nancy Pelosi wiggle her nose last night?

The passage of the bill, against the will of the majority of Americans, besides (supposedly) making certain that all citizens will see doctors whenever they need to, has begun to removed the impetus for generosity in our society. You see, Americans are very generous people. And contrary to the government belief, they do take care of each other. But, when the government takes over doling out what we need, there is no necessity for us to be concerned for each other any more.

So, in my opinion, yesterday was a dark, dark day in America. Not only did our government provide for the extermination of the weakest, most helpless members of society, the unborn, as well as ruin the greatest health care system in the world. They also took away our humanity.

.

10 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree - it was a dark day yesterday. I have unfortunately already spoken with my vote as much as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a sad day in America yesterday. When a country "of the people, by the people and for the people" has the "people's" opinion and desires trampled on, something is wrong with its leaders.

    The selfishness of those who voted for the bill (including the once poster boy for the pro-life movement, Bart Stupak) is mind boggling.

    You hit the nail on the head, where are the poor going to come up with the money to pay for the required health insurance? And if they cannot come up with the money for coverage, where are they going to come up with the $95/per month fine that will be issued for not having insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's very disturbing, dark, and sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It overwhelms me. Aside from all you said, I'm wondering how this will affect dh's ability to get a new job. I'm scared.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, and of course, I also have a husband whose job will be impacted in ways foreseen and unforeseen. I just feel so deflated today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, feel very heavy at heart. God is beginning His retribution, I think. We must pray as we have never prayed before to be delivered from the terrible blow to come. May we all be as courageous as our martyred Catholic forebears were. We are definitely at war. St. Michael, please pray for us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. well said. I agree whole-heartedly (with a sad kind of heart, of course.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that's an angle I hadn't even thought of. So so tragic. The thing that stands out to me as a longtime resident alien of the US and the wife and mother of three citizens is the sheer insult to democracy. I've always admired the American system, thought of them as an example to the rest of us, but last night all that changed. They went against the majority and one of the founding principles of democracy is that of "majority rules." Even thought I wasn't happy when he was elected, I respected the democratic process had taken place and prayed that he would do his best. But this, this is an affront to everything America stands (stood) for. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with every word you wrote.

    My children and I completed reading Mary Fabyan Windeatt's THE CHILDREN OF FATIMA this afternoon, and, in light of the horrific passing of the "health care reform", we've decided to adopt one of the favorite prayers of the children:

    "Most Holy Trinity, Father, Son and Holy Ghost, I adore Thee profoundly. I offer Thee the Most Precious Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus Christ, present in all the tabernacles of the world, in reparation for the outrages, sacrileges and indifference by which He is offended. And through the infinite merits of His Most Sacred Heart, and the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I beg of Thee the conversion of poor sinners."

    May God hear our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd been wondering how all this would play out with your husband's job!
    Be assured of my prayers as far as that is concerned.
    And I'm right there with you on the rest of what you've said about the health care (including the thing about who got the pens...)
    God help us all.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!