Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Monday, February 22, 2010

The Land o' the Flower Fairies

.

Peach had her 8th birthday party this weekend -- the first she's had with friends. She is most definitely a fourth child. Eight, though, is good age for a birthday party with friends, especially girls, because they are of the age where they get parties, but they are still so sweet about their friends. In fact, when I was putting up decorations Noah asked me what games the girls would play and I told him that girls don't play games because they are not competitive (I know not all girls, but I think the majority). Girls want everything to be fair, so no one gets their feelings hurt (eight-year-old girls -- a totally different story when they get older).

A month or more ago, Peach decided on a flower fairy theme (with much prompting by me and some ideas from the birthday party lady, Charlotte). It was really a lot of fun building on that theme and I think the girls had fun with it, too. There were just three guests, and I think four was the perfect number.

The house was decorated in pastel colors -- balloons, streamers and flowers.

One activity was dancing to classical music . This was the favorite activity and the girls went back to it a few times. A few of the balloons came down so they could bat them around while they danced. I made each girl a flower fairy wreath with ribbons to wear and take home.


Then we decorated fairy houses -- peat pots hot glued to sturdy paper plates. The girls used glitter glue and white glue and attached silk flowers, sequins, plastic jewels and moss to create homes for their little flower fairies, which I made ahead of time.



You can find directions to make the little fairies here.

I think the girls really enjoyed eating in the "grown up" room. I served them from Grandma's china and they really behaved accordingly.





We enjoyed Strawberry Jelly Sandwiches,

Flower Crackers (whole wheat Ritz, Colby cheese, pepperoni and a grape half),


Fruit and Marshmallow Bunny Kabobs, Raspberry Sherbet Punch (Hawaiian punch, lemonade, sprite and raspberry sherbet),


Pink Cupcakes, chocolate ice cream cups, and little bowls of chocolate candies on the table.

The boys and dad all disappeared during the party, so it was just the girls and me. I really enjoyed sitting back (with a wee glass of white wine) and listening to their "girl talk." It was a great memory maker for this old mama, and hopefully Peach will remember it, too. After the gifts were opened they all ran up the stairs to see Peach's new bedroom. (I know I promised to post pictures, and I will. Really. You'd think her bedroom was more that a flight of stairs away, wouldn't you?)


.

8 comments:

  1. Brings back sweet memories of Middle Sister's 7th birthday "tea party!" Glad Peach had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so sweet and fun. I'm glad she enjoyed herself. You've given me lots of fabulous ideas for Ella's 6th in May! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's adorable:~) Looks like the perfect party for Peach

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! to have been a fly on the wall!! How utterly sweet. G.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun ~ and pretty ~ party! Yeah for eight!! (My oldest will be eight in November ... It seems so BIG. But I guess I say that every year =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful fairy party!
    such sweet food and treats!
    we had one of those once and it was so much fun.
    even for the mamas.
    who are really just a bunch of big-little girls!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, what a fun party!!! I love theme parties! I love those wreaths for their hair and the crafts, how fun!! The food was beautiful!

    Good job mama!!

    Peach's bedroom is beautiful, both before and afters!

    I dreamed about you the other night (see, I'm missing everyone during lent!) I dreamed that I met someone who knew you irl and she invited me to come with her to your house...but in the dream, you didn't live so far away. I came and surprised you and we had a great time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is full of great ideas. My daughter turns 7 in the fall - I want to remember this.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!