Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Falling, falling, falling

.


Yesterday I was standing on the front lawn waiting for the dog to do her business when I noticed the sound of rain. Except it wasn't raining. There wasn't even the slightest breeze. It was the kind of day we have only once or twice a year when everything is very still, and yet there is movement -- an avalanche of leaves falling from the tippy tops of the trees. Just one leaf would fall, and carry with it each and every leaf it touched on the way down. And then silence. And then one leaf would fall and start the motion again. I tried to capture the activity with my camera, but you can't capture motion with a still picture. Well, you can, but not leaves falling. Well, at least I can't.

Watching the leaves fall to the ground was like watching my children grow and change. There is nothing I can do to stop it. I can't even capture the motion and steal it away for later.


.

5 comments:

  1. There is nothing I can do to stop it. I can't even capture the motion and steal it away for later.

    That's what old friends are for. We'll gladly pull up our knitting and our rocker, and we won't complain when we hear the same story twice.

    I promise.

    Provided you teach me how to knit.

    Enjoy the whisper of those leaves while it lasts! We're doing scarecrow books this week and my little hens can't get enough of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful simple post, I love the quietness in it! (it's like being right there)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely descriptions! I agree with Jamie, it was like I was standing right next to you ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe I should comment before I read other comments, 'cos Margaret is so funny I can't stand it and whatever I have to say pales in comparison. I do know what you mean . . . I wish I could stop it, but then, we miss the immediate beauty of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love that sound too.
    and you described it perfectly!
    it is THE main reason why we've been breakfasting outdoors lately.
    the leaves fall so gently. almost like snowflakes. only you don't get wet!
    thanks for that sweet little fall tidbit.
    enjoy your falling. falling. falling.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!