Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Thursday, November 12, 2009

There's a moral here...somewhere

.

I had to go to the hospital for a CT scan today.

My mother and father-in-law came to stay with the kids for my appointment. I ran out the door so fast I forgot to take a book or my knitting bag. I almost turned around, but I was running late. I know this sounds pathetic, but even an appointment for a CT scan without children can be enjoyable with the right book or something to knit. You know.

I got to the facility and signed it and then sat with my hands idle and nothing to read. There was not even a stinking magazine in the waiting room, just a television running with Rachel Ray on. I like Rachel Ray alright, but she was of no comfort to me in my time of need. I needed a book. I needed some knitting.

They called me back for registration and then sent me on my merry way to the imaging waiting room. Fox News was on the TV there and it was completely on my nerves. I needed a book. I needed some knitting. Because I sat. And I sat and I sat and I sat. After and hour and 15 minutes I went back to the registration desk to inquire as to whether my name had been "lost." Later, I learned that my name never made it from one computer to another. Lost in the system without a book, without knitting.

I did end up praying at least four decades, though it was hard to do with Fox News in my ear. What is with every medical waiting room having televisions these days? Are people afraid to be alone with their own thoughts? If you're waiting for a serious medical procedure, surely they don't think you'll forget about it because of the television program that's on. Please. Leave me alone with my thoughts, or the rosary.

Anyway, my appointment took much longer than it should have because I got "lost," but eventually I had my scan and left. And I know there's a moral to the story here, but I'll be darned if I know what it is.

I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to think about it later though, when the laxative effect of the contrast liquid takes effect.

At least I'll have a book.

.

.

14 comments:

  1. The moral of the story? God's way of working on your virtue of patience. I've been in that exact same position so many times and I come away more humbled because I know God was sending me a message to work on my patience. He's forcing us to listen to Him.

    Hope your scan results are good and all will be well. You're in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara...I think you are right...we are afraid to be alone with our thoughts. Saying 4 decades of the rosary was the right thing to do.
    Hey, did they give you IV contrast too? If so, did it make you feel like you had wet yourself? It was the weirdest thing. Gotta love that chalky stuff they made you drink...I got banana flavor!
    I pray that your results are good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope results are good; nothing wrong. I agree about the tv's being annoying in waiting rooms. I'd rather it be quiet, so I can think/pray and actually hear the person when they call me back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Theresa,
    You're probably right. I try not to pray for patience, so I don't get tests. But then, God knows what I need any way.

    Nancy,
    I did get IV contrast and, yes, weird sensation indeed. My oral solution was not chalky, but a bitter juicy stuff -- sickening sweet like the liquid you drink when you take a glucose tolerance test, except also bitter. Very nasty. And because they "lost" me, I had to drink it really fast.

    Sarah,
    Time will tell. I'm sure they will be fine -- either way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL. Keep a basket of knitting in the bathroom too?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I often wonder the same thing about t.v.'s on. One reason I chose our new dentist, no t.v. in the waiting room or the exam rooms!

    Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't mind being alone with my thoughts, but I'd like some knitting in my hands at the time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always pray my rosary in the offices, when the kiddos are not with me, that is!

    Patience. We all need those.

    I pray everything is ok and you let us know!

    that nasty liquid description, my mouth is watering now just thinking about it...had it several times, nasty, nasty!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Waiting rooms are a surreal environment, no doubt about it.

    I pray you're feeling well today--as well as possible. Let me know how things come out.

    Ahem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michelle -- Nope. Just reading material! ;-)

    Thanks, Michelle.

    Sara,
    I prefer my own head to the talking heads on TV, but also like something to do with my hands.

    Thanks for your prayers, Jamie.

    I will let you know as soon as I know, Margaret.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I understand what you are saying. I feel the same way when I waiting for doctors visits. My solution to this problem was to put some small prayer books in my purse. Have them there all the time. And my rosary. Yesterday, I took a bag with my bible, a small journal, and a book called "The secret power of speaking God's word" by Joyce Meyer. Also try to memorize some scripture or write down in an index card scripture that talks of confidence in God. It is very helpful to recite God word.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think a lot of waiting rooms are going "magazine-less" now because of the swine flu scare. With all the doctor visits I've been having lately, I've been tossing my own magazine into my bag.

    Praying that all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Praying for you, and that the patience you have learned from your experiences will not be required again any time soon! :)

    Rosemary in Missouri

    ReplyDelete
  14. I pray that your tests come out all well.

    It is an unknown universal law that if you do not being your knitting with you, you will have to wait. Never forget it. I have learned this the hard way, too many times to count. I am not good about reading in noisy places, so I always have to bring some knitting or crochet with me, otherwise I am doomed.

    People are indeed to afraid to be alone with their thoughts. We live in a hectic noisy world where people have forgotten the beauty of silence. Today they twitch and wiggle the moment things get quiet. I think the world would be a better place if people spent a little more time with their thoughts and less time with a TV.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!