Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Thursday, September 03, 2009

Mary, Undoer of Knots

.
Our Blessed Mother has many different titles. So many, in fact, you could almost pick a new one for every day (which I did in May). It is nice to find a title that fits your need -- it makes it so easy to run to our Heavenly Mother when we see that she will help us with our problem du jour.

Recently my mother-in-law shared with me one I had not heard of, Mary Undoer of Knots. The title is inspired by Saint Irenaeus (Bishop of Lyon and martyred in 202), who made a comparison between Eve and Mary, saying: "Eve, by her disobedience, tied the knot of disgrace for the human race; whereas Mary, by her obedience, undid it." From the meditation, an unknown artist painted a much-venerated painting which hangs in St. Peter church in Perlach, Germany.

The knots that Mary undoes are all of the problems that we take to her -- worries for our children, trials in our marriages, our struggles with the world. It is a beautiful visual to imagine Our Holy Mother untying the knots in which we become tangled in our daily lives.




I am on the eighth day of praying the novena to Mary, Undoer of Knots. If you would like to read more about this title of Mary, you can find more here. If you would like to pray the novena, you can find the information for obtaining a booklet (EWTN Catalog also has them).

The novena prayers are inspirational and rich with visual revelation. Some of my favorites lines in the prayers are:

"I entrust into your holy hands this knot in my life...and all the rancor and resentment it has caused in me."

"Undo this knot in my life...o, Mother, and ask Jesus to heal my paralytic faith which gets down hearted with the stones in the road. Along with you, dearest Mother, may I see these stones as friends. Not murmuring against them, but giving endless thanks for them, may I smile trustingly in your power."

"No one ever saw you angry; to the contrary, your words were so charged with sweetness that the Holy Spirit was manifested on your lips. Take away from me the bitterness, anger and hatred which this knot has caused me."

.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful post Barbara. I will look up the information and get some friends, Mom, and sisters to pray the novena along with me. I have so many knots in my life that need to be untied by the grace of God. You are a great inspiration to me with your posts, Thank you.
    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only recently discovered Mary under the title of Undoer of Knots. I learned of this title/devotion *after* I begged Our Mother to help me undo some literal knots in my yarn.... she does that, too!

    I used to live near Perlach (used to walk/ride in Perlacher Forst every weekend) but I never knew this was there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosario -- a group effort is a good thing! Thank you for your kind comment.

    becomewhatyouare-- oh, so sorry you missed it while you were so close. Maybe a good reason to return?! It looks like a beautiful shrine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow.. I will have to get this. Anything to help me to get rid of resentment and bitterness I have in my life. Thank you so much for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prayed this Novena and thought it was on behalf of someone else but by the third day realized it was for me.
    I wish I could reveal what the result of this Novena was but it was miraculous what happened because our Mother does indeed undo our knots.
    Truths are forthcoming because the Lord is true to His Word.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prayed this Novena and the results are miraculous. Some knots were over 30 years old. I thought I was praying this for someone else but realized by the third day I was in such need of Mother's help.
    And our Lord does indeed listen to His Mother.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!