Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Take God's Hand

.

We went to visit Doug's parents' home this weekend and had a long visit and a lovely dinner (thanks G & G). While we were visiting, his mom shared with me something that she received from her niece, Uncle Ed's daughter (remember Aunt Karen and Uncle Ed?). It was a copy of Uncle Ed's desk calendar from the month he died -- March 2009. But instead of a typical desk calendar with appointments and obligations written on each day, Uncle Ed had prayers, and phrases, and quotes that meant something to him.

I didn't know Uncle Ed very well, just enough to know he was very sweet, but an incredible kidder. He was the king of practical jokes. Not the kind of guy I would have expected to write words of wisdom all over his desk calendar. You really never can know someone completely, can you?

One of the things he had with his words of wisdom, was part of a quote (the first two stanzas), that stuck with me. My mother in law did a little research and found its history, and the poem in its complete form, which I share with you. The words are beautiful and comforting, and I especially share it with my little tiny friend Gabi, and her mom, for whom I've been praying every day.

"This poem was written in 1908 by Minnie Louise Haskins, an American lecturer at the London School of Economics, who wrote as a hobby. It was a favourite of Queen Elizabeth the late Queen Mother, who showed it to her husband King George VI. He included it in his famous Christmas message broadcast in 1939 at the beginning of the Second World War. After the King's death the Queen Mother had it engraved on bronze plaques on the entrance to the King George VI Memorial Chapel, Windsor, where both are now interred. It was also read at the funeral service of the Queen Mother.


I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year
'Give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown.'

And he replied, 'Go into the darkness and put your hand into the hand of God
That shall be to you better than light and safer than a known way!'

So I went forth and finding the Hand of God
Trod gladly into the night
He led me towards the hills
And the breaking of day in the lone east.

So heart be still!
What need our human life to know
If God hath comprehension?

In all the dizzy strife of things
Both high and low,
God hideth his intention."


.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for I really needed this affirmation just now. Our family is having various little troubles. We will just squeeze God's Hand a bit tighter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is just so breathtaking! Thank you for sharing it along with the history!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just what I needed to read today Barbara. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cool, to keep a calendar like that! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Barbara-
    I am finally catching up on my favorite blogs. Thank you for this post...I printed it out and will carry it with me. I know I will read and reread this beautiful poem throughout many days ahead. THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR PRAYERS!
    I get every single message you have sent to me and I know God is lifting us all up right now with all of the support we have received.
    Thank you!
    Teri Danstrom
    22chambers.danstrom.com

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!