Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Monday, July 13, 2009

Inspire Me

.

I apologize for my downer of a post yesterday. I think that this worry for our children's souls is a uniquely Catholic thing. Not that other mothers don't worry about their children, but I think that it is often limited to worry for earthly consequence. This Catholic mother worry is for their eternal salvation. And as our children get older, we worry that they will leave this world in mortal sin. I'm not saying any of my children are living in mortal sin. Quite the contrary. However, I see the decisions that they make, and I worry that one poor decision will lead to another, and another. You know what I mean. You understand. I know you do. And that's why I tell you what's in my mother's heart.

On a much lighter note. Yesterday I burned up some nervous energy (but probably not one calorie from those Banana Chocolate Chippers) cleaning off the shelves of the homeschooling bookcase. I put all the consumed books in storage (Lord help us if we ever move) and cleared out the first and sixth grade lesson plans. Now I am ready to start thinking about next year. I am feeling the need to buy something inspirational. A book, I think. Maybe a planner, or a quote-a-day calendar. Is there something that you treat yourself to each year to inspire you? Please share, if you would.

.

9 comments:

  1. I'm a little stumped over here myself. The only treat I can think of right now is an annual pedicure (I'm such a "big spender" lol). You know what's really inspiring me right now is free - the Pope's new encyclical, Caritas in Veritate - I'm slowly reading it. Can't wait to see what your readers will suggest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dream of my dreams would be a personal chef for one whole year!
    Since that ain't ever going to happen....I would treat myself to new cookbook.
    If I was homeschooling, I would be using CHC. I would love to get my hands on one of those lesson planners. They are just filled with wonderful things!
    I actually bought a Lesson Plan Guide for the Middle School Years at our school's used book sale for 50 cents! (a $44 value). I read it for pleasure! Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It wasn't a downer post at all. Many of us moms have been there. Hang in there, you are doing a great job! One book I am reading right now is Fr Paul Coutinho's new book, "Just as You Are" Very easy read and just another affirmation that God accepts just as we are. I needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A retreat for women or a silent retreat is something I've treated myself to in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh! I am going to make those Banana Chocolate Chippers with my kids. They sound great!!

    I have been feeling the need for inspiration lately, too. But I am not sure what that entails ... Hmmm. Now you have me thinking =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Martha...it wasn't a downer post at all...in fact after reading it several times I couldn't get it off my mind..then I read Elizabeth Foss's post on mamas and sons which is also very good and something I needed to read. I thank you and Elizabeth for the posts! I bet I could eat the whole recipe of the cookies...I've fallen so far off my low-carb wagon...actually, I think I've fallen into the hi-carb wagon and I don't like it one bit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barb...you're so very sweet, the way you share your hopes, joys, fears and prayers. This is how we uplift and encourage one another in a time where we no longer have the benefit of neighborly chats across the fence while hanging out the wash.

    And on your lighter note: yes...I always provide a little "fuel" for my "tank" when planning the new school year. Usually an encouraging book or a new planner, just as you stated. This year, however, I'm subscribing to Mater et Magistra. A good friend allowed me to peruse who latest issue...yummy! Just the fuel I'm looking for...

    Bless you as you plan your year...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't think it was a downer!

    I love, love, love my planner from family-centered.com

    It is the best planner I've ever used, and I've tried many. You can get homeschooling pages added in if you want them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two great resources I use for daily meditation, both from Ignatius Press, of course!

    Co-Workers of the Truth - meditations for every day of the year compiled from writings, speeches, and homilies of Benedict XVI.

    Through the Year with Fulton Sheen - inspirational readings for each day of the year by one of my favorite Irish clerics.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!