Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Meet Clara

.
You know how some people come into your life, and even if you don't know them very well (or at all) they make your life better for "knowing" them.



Meet Clara.















She's my new friend, even though she doesn't know it. She's like my grandma that visits me via the computer in my family room. In fact, she's the same age as my grandma, and watching her mannerisms, and watching her cook, is just like watching my grandma. It must be the era she grew up in. Many people say the Internet has no value to them, but if you can find someone like Clara, it's a good thing.

Thanks to beautiful, Jamie, I have found Clara.

Clara is the host of the newly-popular Depression Cooking video series. At age 93, Clara has a video series, a website, and a Facebook page (she's my friend!). And Clara is on Youtube. Isn't that a hoot? I think it's awesome!

I have watched almost all of Clara's videos now and I can't get enough. I could watch her all day. I wish she lived with me so I could just listen to her tell stories all the time.

Get to know Clara. I promise you'll be glad you did. Everyone should know someone like Clara and hear her stories of true hardship and learn to appreciate the little things in life. Like fried potatoes with hot dogs. Good stuff.

.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, after I found her, the girls and I watched the videos all morning!! I love how she says "Now I'm going to turn off the gas" but it's an electric stove. She is just the cutest. I hope she keeps making these gems!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, I am going to have to watch now. I love older folks. I hope to be a charming ol' gal one day. Thank you for the introduction!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I watched her lentil and rice with the thin meat episode. Am I strange or what? She's adorable and I loved listening to her. However, she took the cooked meat and laid it back in the same olive oil/lemon/pepper juice she had the raw meat in; and, she used the same lemon from all that for the salad. Uff da! She probably has a castiron stomach, though; I, however, do not. My grandparents cooked like that (no caution whatever). It was great. I'll watch more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i watched her today as well...
    i am going to try her pepper and egg sandwiches and her poormans meal.

    have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, thank you for his lovely introduction. I am going to find all of her youtube videos and sit my hubby down to watch her this weekend when he comes home again. He's really into cooking shows right at this time (as you read on my blog today....big grin), so thank you, thank you...wink, wink. God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jamie,
    I hope she keeps making them, too. I'm actually looking forward to trying a few of the recipes, as crazy as that sounds. We'll call them the Stimulus Bill Plate Special (or as my husband called them, Obama Specials)!

    Yeah, Sarah, I noticed that too. You're right -- she probably has quite a tolerance to food-born bacteria. I definitely would have made another plate of oil.

    Almostemptynester, I think the Poorman's meal might make it to the menu next week.

    Renee,
    What Clara lacks in gourmet recipes she more than makes up for in charm and frugality. And check out her cookware -- it looks like it's been around since the Depression. Gotta love a woman who is happy with what she has.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd come across her recently too and watched almost every one of her episodes. She's terrific:~D

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!