Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Wednesday, March 04, 2009

The Good Days

.
Yesterday you met my new friend, Clara. I have been thinking a lot about Clara -- about what seems to make her tick, what makes her happy. She talks about events in her childhood, her formative years, during the Depression, with great fondness. She talks about how simple things made her happy -- a warm drink on a cold day, the warm stove when they would all sit next to it together, a loved one reading aloud. She laughs out loud at the memories because they are good. It defies logic doesn't it? The Depression was good. She says "those were the good days."

Our society has seemingly lost the ability to take pleasure in little things. We have lost the ability to make good. We always need more, more, more to make us happy. Sadly my own children are that way in many things. They aren't exactly greedy, but they like things.

I have, for many years, tried to teach my children that acquiring more things does not make us happy. We choose to be happy.

I have a favorite movie that I have watched over and over (and over). The funny thing is, it's not a favorite movie for the actors (in fact, for their political views I really have a hard time tolerating them) or the happy ending (the ending is not happy and I am in complete moral disagreement with the outcome), but because of the central theme of the story. The movie is One True Thing, and if you have ever seen it, you know what I mean about the above-mentioned issues. If you've never seen it, I won't give it away. My point is, the character played by Meryl Streep, the mother, who is dying of cancer, tells her daughter, in one very poignant scene, "It's so much easier to be happy. It's so much easier to choose to love the things that you have, instead of always yearning for what you're missing, or what it is that you're imagining you're missing. It is so much more peaceful."

That is an incredible philosophy of life and, though there is no mention of God in the movie, it is what God wants for us. He wants us to be happy with Him and with what He chooses for us. And it is so true. What Clara learned in the Depression, and what I hope my children learn in their lives, is that the things that we have are plenty, there is no need to search for more. We just have to learn to love those things that we do have, instead of feeling that we're missing something better.

Each evening, as Doug and I watch the news, and listen to the political analysts predict what's going to happen with this economy, I think to myself, "If we, as a society, could just learn to be happy with what we have, none of this would matter." I truly hope that the silver lining of all the money lost in recent days, with old folks losing their retirement savings, and young folks losing jobs and college funds, is that we learn to love the things we have instead of always searching for the next thing to make us happy.



.

8 comments:

  1. In my experience, it's easier to be happy with the little things when you don't have any money. I remember our years in Germany, when we had no extra money because we were trying to get out of the mess we'd made by spending more than we had, as some of our most content years. We were very happy with little things. Same thing now, when the budget is very tight because of high propane bills and an extra mortgage. I'm perfectly content with what we have, but already, I can feel that slipping away. God willing, we'll be closing on the house in a few more days and then there will be a lot more cash available for extra things we don't really need. And the money will get spent. It always does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely reflection. My parents just told me that their stocks in the local power plant were sold to Australia . . . they'll get whatever money the buyers think is fair . . . they lost over $100,000 on them anyway. But, my mom said she and dad will be okay - God hasn't allowed them to starve yet! So, they'll stand in front of abortion clinics and keep fighting for life. That's what matters - love in the world.

    Barb - you are your own kind of awesome; I really admire you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good post, very good!

    I agree with you totally.

    About 11 years ago,
    I remember a priest telling me (after discussing jealousy with him) to go (for my pennance) sit down in the church and take some time and think back and thank God for everything in your life from the beginning until now. You know what? Nothing was material. Nothing.

    Late at night, There is some program that is on, I think Feed the Poor or something like that, I so want to wake my children and show them the starving children in the world. They just don't understand that that can happen. Their lives are so good. They have no real sadness in their lives. (Yes, there are small tradgedies, like a sister took something, but no REAL sadness)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barb:

    This is such a lovely reflection and oh, so timely. Passing on an appreciation for the "little things" will reap dividends that far exceed what one will get from the material world. Our children, and I mean all children, are really quite simple...their hearts only yearn for what they know. If they know Christ, know the Sacraments, know the joy of serving, know the sacrificial nature of love; they will yearn for these things. If they only grow to know luxury, pampering, adulation of material goods and services; they will only yearn all the more for them...like the sieve, they can never be filled.

    And thank you so much for introducing me to Clara! She and I are becoming fast friends and I've already made several introductions, myself!

    Bless you, Barb! Have a wonderful day...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara..this was really timely for me as well! I remember the movie too...although, I don't think I could watch it again now. But the message is worth meditating on for sure. By the way, I really liked Clara and I watched one of the youtube videos! I'll get to more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barbara,

    I am learning to LOVE your blog! What a wonderful reflection. I will have to watch Clara this weekend.

    We certainly are missing something as a society in general when we are always wanting more to make us happy, as you say. What so many don't realize is that things will never make us happy. How have we lost so much in such a short time? Really, it has not been very long since the Depression, yet so much has changed. I would give up my automatic washer and dryer in a heartbeat to return to the values of that time. Yet, I cannot imagine life without those conveinences. Life is so busy now that we have come to rely on those modern marvels. The irony is we need them, yet we would be so much better off without them. As for other things, looking around my home sometimes gives me an empty feeling in the pit of my stomach.

    What puzzles me, as I said, is how quickly things have changed. How did these values sneak in so quietly, almost undetected, and how did we get where we are? And how will we possibly get back to those values, as a society? Will we? My husband says this should be a blog post... perhaps it will be. Thanks for the thoughts!
    God bless you! Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your thoughtful insights,and leading us to Clara. She is an absolute delight! You just want to take her home and "be" with her, don't you. It makes me miss my grandmother that I spent every summer with from age 8-28. I didn't appreciate her as much then as I would now, of course. Thanks for your blog. It is a ray of light and wit in this sometimes dull and dumb world.

    Sincerely,
    Martha in SF,SD

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy that movie too, although I can only watch it every so often.

    I wish we all could just be happy!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!