Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Friday, February 27, 2009

Proof of Love

.
This morning, my meditative reading in Divine Intimacy was about proof of love through suffering. Using St. Therese as an example, the author explains how suffering, without complaint, can be one of the greatest gifts we give to God. He tells us that the good will with which one suffers is the gift we give. The value is in the spirit of generosity attached to the suffering, not the pain. It makes me wonder, however, how anyone today can offer suffering to God, when we spend so much time avoiding suffering? If I have a headache, I take an aspirin; if my back aches, I take a pain pill. Unlike the saints in long ago times, we almost always choose not to suffer if there is a choice. It's really not even a consideration today to voluntarily suffer.

It's something to think about. How can I offer my pain to God without making everyone around me miserable? Can I quietly endure? And maybe not just quietly endure, but be happy all the while? It's definitely something to think on, to try, to practice (practice makes perfect). We often wonder why it is that we are suffering. "I have prayed for God to take this pain away, why hasn't He?" As always, a lesson needs to be learned.



"O my Beloved, how shall I show my love, since love proves itself by deeds? I have no other means of proving my love than to strew flowers, and these flowers will be each word and look, each little daily sacrifice. I wish to make profit out of the smallest actions and do them all for Love. For Love's sake I wish to suffer and to rejoice: so shall I strew my flowers. Not one that I see but, singing all the while, I will scatter its petals before You. Should my roses be gathered from amid thorns, I will sing notwithstanding; and the longer and sharper the thorns, the sweeter will grow my song." St. Therese of the Child Jesus


.

4 comments:

  1. I chose to have both of my children without the use of any drugs or pain medication, preparing instead through a Christian Birthing class. I don't post this in any way to say what others should or shouldn't do but just to say that I have never regretted the decisions to be fully present in the birthing process, because my focus was on Christ's deliverence and His goodness - both birth's stand out in my mind, not as painful but as times when I received God's grace, mercy and comfort. If we don't ever allow any pain into our lives then we miss out on opportunities to be loved, delivered and comforted by our savior.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara, this post writing was so thought provoking for me at this very moment. You have blessed me greatly today after reading it. Thank you. I especially liked; "How can I offer my pain to God without making everyone around me miserable?". ;) As for you, thinking of you still and praying for your back to heal so you're up and running around again. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! What a beautiful post, Barbara! And what a perfect quote from Saint Therese! I have thought at times about how to offer our sufferings to Christ, especially when all we do is to try to avoid suffering, and I know I have difficulty accepting many of my sufferings. Though I give them to Christ, I probably don't give them to Him as fully as I could. I had been still deciding what to give up for Lent. One of my thoughts was to give up COMPLAINING about my sufferings and difficulties. I think your post helped to make that decision a bit easier. Thanks!

    Oh, I almost forgot. I have been busy lately and so am slow to get this out to everyone. I left a little award on my site for you. I do not yet know how to link URL's to comments, so I will just copy and past the address:
    http://fallingonhisgrace.blogspot.com/2009/02/my-first-award.html

    God bless you!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shaun,
    I can see that childbirth would be a beautiful time to offer physical suffering -- an awesome gift.

    Renee,
    Thank you for your kind thoughts and prayers. I still have to be careful how I move, but it is much improved.

    Kim,
    Thank you for your kind award, and your kind words. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!