Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Longest Trip Home

I added this book review to my Goodreads account today and thought I'd post my review here for anyone who has considered reading this book.

The Longest Trip Home: A Memoir by John Grogan


The Longest Trip Home: A MemoirMy review


rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book was reminiscent of Frank McCourt's Angela's Ashes although not quite as tragic (and not quite as funny). Grogan chronicles his Catholic childhood -- much like my own (from the same time frame) -- and ultimately his departure from the Church. Precipitated by his father's terminal illness, the journal shows Grogan seeming to fight with his own desire to embrace the Church, yet push it away at the same time. He never does come back completely (in the book), yet I wonder...



I first read Grogan in his popular Marley and Me where I tasted his Catholic formation. I will pray for his reversion. His parents, as written about in Longest Trip Home, were awesome Catholics. I would love to have known them. I saw much of myself, as a Catholic parent, and much of my children. I truly hope I do not suffer their same experiences, with seeing their children turn from their Faith.


View all my reviews.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your review. I loved Marley and Me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you did with your love of labs! You would probably really enjoy The Longest Trip -- I can't say how awesome his parents were. They were very inspiring. The book also shows that no matter how good a parent you are, ultimately your children make their own choices!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jotting down the titles. Hello, Library!! Thanks for the book reviews (tips).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too was disappointed that John Grogan did not return to the Catholic faith. I felt the whole book was a leading toward that conclusion but sadly ended with his friendship with a priest and attending one Mass as his weak attempt at soothing his conscience. He seems to think he "sort of" returned to the Church. I loved Marley and Me - both book and movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are welcome, Sarah.

    Janet,
    I am not convinced that Longest Trip was the end...if you know what I mean. He is about my age I think, so I am praying for his reversion. I too, however, thought it would end with his return to his faith.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!