Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Friday, January 30, 2009

O.k. Enough Fun

.


In less than an hour I'm off to get high school boy from school and officially begin my weekend. This has been a crazy week, half snow days, half sick days, and I'm not certain that a weekend is going to set me straight, but at least I won't have to try and remember what day it is.


Anywaayyy...the mittens are finished. And all I can say is...





...you guys are good. You got me. There were a couple of alternate opinions amongst the comments, but almost every one of you guessed that I ripped out the stitch and re-knit the mitten.






Yup. I did.

I did not, however, Regina, just fix that one stitch. No. I had no confidence in my ability to make it right after fixing just one stitch, so I "frogged" back to the flawed stitch and re-knit the whole thing. Cheryl had me -- rip it, rip it. And so did my mother-in-law (ss), but she cheated because she already knows me. She really knows me, though, because she got that I really tried to not rip it out. I even slept on it. But my sinful self just had to go back and make it perfect. As my punishment, Peach will probably never wear these darling mittens. She declared them itchy. I guess it's the wool.

Now, I'm onto mittens for myself. I don't think I'll use this pattern (which you can find here by the way, God bless the Interweb). I'm looking for a pattern that is not too complicated, but with a side thumb instead of a center thumb because I might just feel silly wearing kiddy style mittens. If you have a suggested pattern, please give me a holler.

Kimberly, this was my very first try at dp needles (Barb, they are double pointed knitting needles, not chopsticks. But, I suspect you knew that!). I have to say I am completely hooked and may never again knit something flat.


And speaking of knitting, I noticed that I never posted pictures of college boy's scarf that I made a couple weekends ago. I was very pleased with how it turned out. (I wonder if he lost it already?) I used three colors, but started new for each row. I tied the ends together in bunches of three. Pretty simple.



You can see the knitting up close -- I liked how there was one row of each color over and over.



I had fun, friends. Hope you did, too. Now go have a great weekend.







.

13 comments:

  1. great pink mittens they look beautiful...someday she will choose fashion over comfort and will put those on for sure!!

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just catching up on blog posts this week, but I would have guessed you ripped it out too! BTW, I love the scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mittens turned out lovely. I really like that scarf - very nice blend of colours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful mittens, Barbara, and I love the scarf - very manly! I would love to learn to knit, but probably wouldn't use the items too very much...I thought about your backyard full of snow today when I heard my back neighbor weed-eating and mowing his backyard...yes, a few of my windows are open today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely mittens and scarf! I noticed the little quiz you posted earlier .... Very fun! I am just learning to knit and enjoying it, but I have a long way to go! LOL I thought my first project would be a scarf for my daughter, but I think it's going to be just a practice piece ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. come on barb, you totally could have fixed just that one stitch. try it next time.
    scarf looks awesome and so do the mittens. i am at a stand still...cant figure out what to knit next. so i have NOTHING on the needles (aside from a sock i have decided not to finish).
    r

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew it! You do great work by the way. I love those mittens! I wish it got cold enough here to wear mittens, but alas, they would just make my hands sweaty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet mittens, Barb! Tell Peach to give the wool a try. The best test...wear them in the snow. The wool "wicks" away moisture. Hands stay warmer and dryer. Sometimes, a little lotion on the hands before putting on the wool mittens can alleviate that itchiness. Unless, of course, she's extremely sensitive to wool like my Clementine!

    And I say good job and no sin in doing something well! So long as your actions are done with much love and the desire to do your very best...you're good to go!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Empty Nester,
    I don't know...if she's anything like her mom she'll always go for comfort.

    Thanks, Denise.

    Sarah,
    Keeping knitting and pretty soon you'll be on dp needles, too. Try knittinghelp.com for their great videos. That's how I learned!

    Regina,
    I have tried before to fix just one stitch and I end up messing up more stitches. I'm handicapped, what can I say?

    Nancy,
    You're right -- no need in sunny FL! That's a good thing!

    Kimberly,
    I'm thinking when she goes out in the snow she won't even notice. None of my kids will wear gloves or hats if we're going in the car. Unlike me -- I cover every bit of skin possible!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hee hee...I knew they were knitting needles although I have never seen a knitting needle with points on both ends. But they look an awful lot like chopsticks, and I was hungry...need I say more? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Barb -- I may some day find one of my kids using them for chopsticks!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The mittens look sweet! I've never tried mittens before, so I look forward to seeing your next pair too. Yeah, I've had a few projects that required a lot of "re" work. It's hard to rip it out, but sometimes it's for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  13. barb, love those mittens and the scarf. isn't it funny that when it comes to sewing-we notice-and cannot live with our OWN mistakes, yet others hardly pay attention.
    anyway, they both came out beautiful. i am beginning to wonder if it is not soooo cold out in your neck of the woods that hand-warmers might not be the best idea for your little one. but at least they'll be FASHIONABLE!
    well, have a beautiful super-bowl sunday.
    and as for the dishtowels, that particular little chicken, i made for my mom because i knew she would love it and take care of it. it just hangs in her kitchen as sort of a decoration on a wooden towel rack. no drying pans for that one. and i buy all of those old looking towels at thrift stores, most of the time they've never been used. add a little bleach into the wash and they are good to go! the flour sack ones are from wal-mart.
    'bye!
    =)
    ps. please email me your address when you get a chance, so when i'm ready, i can send this stuff.now that i am finished with that craft swap for the yoda i have more time.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!