Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Thursday, December 04, 2008

Weekly Liturgical Activities

.
Well, I don't know where that week went exactly. One head cold and a half dozen Nyquil later, and I'm on Friday. First Friday to be exact. And the day before the feast of St. Nicholas Day. And two days before the second Sunday in Advent. And three days before the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. Whew! And then there is Juan Diego on Tuesday, and Our Lady of Guadalupe on Friday. Could we cram a few more things into the next week? I know there are some babies due around the blogville -- maybe we'll have a new baby to talk about, too!

Sunday's Gospel -- Second Sunday of Advent

This Sunday's Gospel, Behold, I am sending my messenger ahead of you, is, of course, about St. John the Baptist. Many activities can be found about this great saint, but I am limiting my links here to those related to this Gospel message.
Link
Coloring pages, word puzzles, and crafts can be found here.

Or download a packet of good stuff here.

And, if you haven't already signed up to get your daily Advent printable materials, go here. It's really nice materials and they email you everyday to remind you.



The Feast Days

St. Nicholas

If I had all week I couldn't possible post all the wonderful links there are to celebrate the Feast of St. Nicholas. As it is, it's the day before, and if you haven't already started having fun, there are only so many hours in the day. I recommend everything in moderation, so pick one or two fun things to do, maybe one of them being a recipe, and enjoy each one. I have some very favorite books, also, which explain this wonderful saint, and if you have time to pop over to the library today, I bet you can find one or two also.

The St. Nicholas Center online has a kids' page with:

Loads of coloring pages, word puzzles, and cut and color sets to print

Online games and online coloring

Crafts to make

Stories and games to play at home

The St. Nicholas Center also offers many suggestions for your family celebration.

If you didn't find enough good stuff there, Jessica has some good stuff at her blog, Shower of Roses.

And Catholic Cuisine has a great collection of recipes, including the St. Nikolaus Speculatius Cookies I made last year and plan to make again on Saturday.

Books to enjoy:

The Miracle of Saint Nicholas by Gloria Whelan/ Judith Brown

Saint Nicholas by Ann Tompert/ Michael Garland

Saint Nicholas: The Real Story of the Christmas Legend by Julie Stiegemeyer/ Chris Ellison

The Legend of Saint Nicholas by Demi

The Real Santa Claus by Marianna Mayer

The Feast of the Immaculate Conception -- December 8

After the festivities of St. Nicholas Day, this feast day is certainly a little more solemn, and rightly so. Our children will learn from their mothers and fathers a great devotion to the Blessed Mother, and this feast day is a special one. Our belief in the purity of Our Holy Mother at her birth is one of the things that sets Catholics apart from other Christians. And it is important that our children understand, from a young age, what Mary's Immaculate Conception means. I have heard many a "devout" Catholic refer to the Incarnation, or even the Virgin birth, as the Immaculate Conception, and it always amazes me how Catholics can be so confused on this foundation of our faith.

Set up your Mary altar today, with images of Mary and a candle, and possibly fresh flowers.

A history, readings, prayers and activities from Women for Faith & Family.

Many ideas for feast day activities and recipes at Catholic Culture.

You'll find printable activity pages on Our Blessed Mother here and here as well.

You can find some online games with Mary here (scroll down) and online puzzles here.

Find an online coloring page here (scroll down).

Be sure to sing Immaculate Mary today. I know I'll be humming all day long. :-)

Have the children paint their own masterpiece from one like this:




O Virgin Immaculate, Mother of God and my Mother,
from thy sublime height turn upon thine eyes of pity.
Filled with confidence in thy goodness and knowing full well thy power,
I beseech Thee to extend to me thine assistance in the journey of life,
which is so full of dangers for my soul.
And in order that I may never be the slave of the devil through sin,
but may ever live with my heart humble and pure,
I entrust myself wholly to thee.
I consecrate my heart to thee forever,
my only desire being to love thy Divine Son, Jesus.
Mary, none of thy devout servants has ever perished;
may I too be saved. Amen.




Feast of Saint Juan Diego -- December 9

Find a child appropriate biography here.

You'll find Juan Diego featured in Who is Who 1, an online matching games.

Find a coloring page here.


Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe -- December 12

You'll find a page of activities, prayers, recipes and a link to her shrine here.

You'll also find some lovely ideas at O Night Divine.

Find an online puzzle of Our Lady of Guadalupe here.

For a coloring page, go here.





.

1 comment:

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!