Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Friday, September 19, 2008

Bye Bye to Baby

.

Last night I waved goodbye, now it seems years...

O.k. That's a little dramatic, but almost true.

Yesterday evening we took Geoff down to campus and left him at his dorm -- the hellhole, I shall call it. Well, it wasn't a hellhole last night, but once all four young men (boys) are living there, it shall be. I told him that I will not be back, at least not to his room. I am afraid that it will be like looking at the sun and seeing it, in its normal living state, may scar me for life.

It wasn't as hard as I imagined. Of course, I had the other three kids with me and I couldn't exactly break down in front of them, although I think Geoff might have enjoyed seeing some emotion. I met one other roommate and his parents, and they were nice Ohio people. I will just imagine that the other two boys are really nice, too.

I am probably going to be imagining a lot about my oldest son's life now. I will just imagine that he is getting up for class every day, spending all of his free time in the library or at Mass, eating three servings of vegetables at every meal, and keeping the toilet in his bathroom sparkling clean. He will never get hurt or be sick, and he will never stray from the path of righteousness. If I imagine any other scenario, I may never recover.

Our code phrase for behave is, build your house on rock, son. (Mt 7:24-27) I will be texting that to him a lot; maybe I can program it into my phone and send it at a regular time everyday.

As I was walking past his dorm on the way to the car after we left him, I texted him "Are you o.k. ? Just checking." And he texted back, "Yes, LOL."

Yes, LOL, son. Enjoy.



With his college schultüte.




.

11 comments:

  1. He'll be great and so will you! What a foundation you have helped him with: Jesus. Rest assured, Jesus has both of your best interests at heart. God bless, and I send you a BIG (((hug))) from one mum to another. I feel these feelings now that my eldest is a freshman in high school . . . it's weird not having him home all day (used to home school him).

    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, that's too scary to even contemplate. These kids, they're just babies, right? It doesn't end, they don't grow up, and I get to keep them forever. And if that's wrong, I don't want to hear about it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how hard this is for you, Barbara. I said goodbye to my son for a week this summer and ohmygoodness. My poor mother's heart.

    Well, listen. Pack up your two homeschoolers and come for a visit. Your husband can handle your other son! I'll treat you royally and not cook with white pepper and may even take you 'round to see the sights.

    We'll stay up late drinking coffee and eating scones. We'll laugh, we'll cry, we'll laugh some more. We'll call it an exercise in letting go.

    And then, in seven years when my oldest goes off, you can repay the favor. :)

    Love to you today & always,

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll see....he will do just fine and so will you, Mom! It's just so hard to leave them there and drive away...:) Hugs to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will do fine. He will do fine. hugs to you though!! You will see all your training at home will come out in his college experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to him! And once you're done visiting Margaret, come on over here! Peach and Little Brother would have a blast :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there,

    I emailed you something to help get you a little more on board, so if you get a strange email, that would be me!

    O-H-I-O

    Hugs,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  8. aw, he looks like a perfect little buckeye!! tell him if he ever wants to switch places i am game!
    r

    OH

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting! College! You've done a fabulous job getting him where he is today, my hat's off to you! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bless you Barb and congratulations to your dear boy as he embarks on life's next great adventure! Keeping you all in prayer...

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey, remember on some comment awhile back i said to have him get me robiskie's, hartline's, laurenitis', and beanie's autograph....well, throw in pryor's too would ya?
    ever greatful,
    r

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!