Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Saturday, September 20, 2008

A Song of Farewell

.

My family and I traveled today to join our extended family in Cincinnati for our farewell to Jill. As you can imagine, it was an emotional day. We are all exhausted from the combination of travel and sorrow, but we thank Our God for safe travel, and for the comfort we have found in each other.


I thank you, my friends, for your prayers, for they have lifted the family, and given them strength in these hard days.

Jill was blessed until the very end with her loving husband, parents, and sisters, and they kept vigil with her until the very last. Her parents said she never lost her sense of humor, making them laugh just a few hours before she left this world. She also soldiered bravely until the end, never complaining, never asking "why me?" She was a wonderful example of humility, faith, charity, and love.



Saints of God, come to her aid!
Hasten to meet her, angels of the Lord!

Receive her soul and present her to God the Most High.


May Christ, who called you, take you to himself;
may angels lead you to the bosom of Abraham.
Receive her soul and present her to God the Most High.


Eternal rest grant unto her, O Lord,

and let perpetual light shine upon her.

Receive her soul and present her to God the Most High.

.



.

7 comments:

  1. I didn't realize Jill's funeral was to be in Cincinnati. (I'm from there, but apparently it took moving me to the "wilds" of the Ozarks to turn me into a Catholic.) I'm so blessed to be a part of the Church, and to know that the prayers of Mary and all the Saints are there for us. And,indeed,for your dear cousin, Jill. May the Spirit's comfort be yours. -- Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely prayer. May Jill be a beautiful new intercessor in our vocation as wives & mothers.

    I imagine that the next couple of weeks will be challenging, Barbara. Do try to slow down and just be present to little Peach and the rest of your family. Know, as always, that you are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will join you in your prayers today. And we are keeping all of you in prayers as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful prayer Barbara, what a beautiful life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing Jill with us. I feel that the world is a little bit dimmer without her presence.

    meg

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still thinking of you and praying . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just a comment on this most beautiful and ancient prayer/song. It is the oldest recorded song of the Catholic church and is found inscribed on the catacombs in Rome, both sad and joyful at the same time. God bless Jill. May the angels in heaven have danced with glee at the news of her arrival.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!