Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Monday, April 28, 2008

Oh, The Prom...

.
I know that you girls with young'uns at home are living vicariously through me these days -- watching me suffer as my children grow is more like it. I know that you're just waiting with bated breath to see how the prom went, and I guess that you've waited long enough.

I can, however, only indulge you with the information I gathered before my son left for prom and what meager details I got after (weep, weep).

You see, the problem with being the mother of a boy, is that I get no pictures of the boy with the girl (until the professional pictures come home), and I get no juicy details, because guys just don't get the juicy details (weep, weep).



My son looked dashing, if I do say so myself. He chose the "James Bond" style tux -- very conservative, even down to the standard collar instead of the wing tip collar. I thought it a very good choice. I was told that one boy wore a DayGlo orange tux, top hat and "pimp" cane. I can only say how glad I am that I am not his mother (or his date). I think I would have cried all night.

I was told the young lady (whom we do not know, so I can't even tell you what she looks like -- weep, weep) wore a black spaghetti strap dress with a shawl (thank goodness). The corsage was a beautiful dainty wrist style with white sweetheart roses and a spray of white freesia. I am told my son had a flower as well, but he left it at the after prom party, "because the prom was over, mom." (Weep, weep)

The prom was held at the school, which I think is very nice. They have a very nice commons area which is actually frequently used for wedding receptions. The dinner was included in the evening, which I also think is wonderful. I don't think these "children" need to be going out to dinner and then to hotels and such for dances. There is plenty of time for that in the future. It's nice that they all eat dinner together -- much like a big family. They enjoyed each others' company for several hours, instead of all scattering for dinner and then meeting at the prom for just a short time.

The faculty are a big presence at the prom at our school. The principal was there, and the assistant principals (one of whom recently had a heart attack and made his reappearance at the prom -- and was very warmly welcomed by the boys). The only priest on faculty was there, and the boys love him, so he was welcomed at one of the tables for dinner. Many of the staff (secretaries and counselors) at the school chaperoned, and the boys enjoyed their presence, too, since they are all like family. Sister Margaret was, of course, on hand.

The only Sister Margaret story that I heard about was regarding my son's young friend, who, during a slow dance apparently left Jesus out of his little trio and was broken up with the statement, "I've seen enough!"

God love you, Sister Margaret.
.

5 comments:

  1. (((((((Big HUG))))))

    You poor mama! Being a girl who went to many proms, I never even realized what the boy's mama misses out on! Tell him to give you a big ole hug, right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that Sister Margaret takes her chaperone job very seriously! :)

    You son is smashingly handsome! :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. He looks very handsome. Send your nun up here in MN, we need more of her around!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I figure your son hasn't been embarrassed enough yet, so here's another one: My goodness, but he's handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw Barbara he looks great! I remember my Mam having the same frustrations with my brother, although he could have definitely used the advice of your nun! :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!