Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Tuesday, April 29, 2008

You Know You're a Home Schooler When...

.
...your kids are waiting for the UPS man to bring new books.

I'm just kidding. I know home schoolers aren't the only ones who love books. But, we do love our books.


These new books arrived the other day. And the kids really were waiting for the UPS man. Although I'm not sure why. Neither one really likes handwriting practice. Which is why these particular books were ordered.

Michael -- 5th grade -- has atrocious handwriting. Do your boys have poor handwriting? I've had one with good and two with poor. But, this year I've noticed such a dramatic decline that I decided we had to do something. It's never going to get better on it's own, and as much as I love Seton's handwriting books, and the Zaner Bloser method overall, it's just not working for this kid.

As a child, I loved practicing handwriting. I know, it's a girl thing, I also loved working in workbooks -- loved the feel of a fresh new page in front of me -- a manageable task. But, for some kids, sitting and copying someone else's letters is just a waste of time. And that's where the Zaner Bloser method has failed for this young man.

So, we'll try something new and, hopefully, these books will deliver handwriting without arguments, as well as without tears.

.

1 comment:

  1. Morning Barb!

    I'm such a stickler for good handwriting! It was one of my "pet-peeves" during the children's public school days. How could those teachers accept such shoddy work? And give good grades for correct answers poorly executed??!!

    We started using a program called SmithHand. It was excellent, but had very funny results. My two middle daughters were the only ones using it and there handwriting is identical! We can't tell them apart...

    The boys hated SmithHand, so we use the Marie Picard program. They love it. It looks so much like "illuminated writing." Unfortunately, I have one boy who is struggling, though he is improving. I had considered using the HWOT program. Let me know how it works out for you...I don't know anyone else who's using it and really need a testimonial ;-D

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!