Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Can't Put a Good Book Down

.
This past weekend we got a lot of snow (you saw the pictures) -- about 20 inches to be exact. When we saw that the weather forecast was actually going to happen (a rarity around here), I was busy getting to the store so I wouldn't have to do my weekly shopping in the midst of it. When we got settled in and it actually started snowing, I realized I might not have anything to do for a few days (yea, right). Besides laundry, I mean.

But then I remember that I had grabbed a book by one of my favorite authors at the library. In fact, I had grabbed three, but had already read two of them. I have certain authors that I love and I read everything they write. Do you do that?

Anyway, once day when I was at the library I saw a new book by Jacqueline Mitchard and remembered that I had not "checked on her" in a long time. I have certain authors who I check on periodically to see if there is anything newly published. I apparently hadn't checked on Mitchard in a long time because there were three books I had not read.

Well, the first one I read -- Cage of Stars -- was very good and I highly recommend it. It's about a young Mormon girl who experiences a tragedy in her life, and how she lives her life into adulthood after the tragedy.

If you've ever read Mitchard (well known for Deep End of the Ocean), you know something tragic always happens.

The second one I read -- Still Summer -- was good, but not great. It took me a while to get through it.

The third one I picked up -- sometime on Saturday during the "blizzard" -- was Theory of Relativity, and was also very good. I stayed up too late last night finishing it. I read it in four days, which is something because I still did laundry and cooked meals and schooled (the snow day helped). It's about a family tragedy (or course) which results in a couple leaving behind a one-year-old daughter and the custody battle following. Not a legal thriller, just interesting family stuff.

So, it now appears that I've read all of her books except a teen novel that was published last year (and one due this year).

Now I need another good book. Any suggestions?

.

5 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if you're a mystery fan or not, but I always have enjoyed anything by Diane Mott Davidson (who writes about caterer Goldy Schultz) and Joanne Fluke (who writes about cookie shop owner Hannah Swenson). Both books are mysteries in the Murder She Wrote genre with the added benefit that both of the main characters either cook or bake and so many of their recipes are included in the book.

    Also, for a quick read, to pick up here and there I love anything by Erma Bombeck.

    Finally, for a little more indepth read, my husband is reading My Life with the Saints. And we're both reading the book Catholic and Christian for our couple's bible study. It's a great book explaining people's misunderstandings of the Faith.

    I'd love to hear what you choose. We're always on the look out for a good book, too.

    God Bless,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might have already read it, but 1000 Splendid Suns was good in a tragic sort of way, by the same guy who wrote The Kiterunner. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is also a beautiful read and might be good for your older boys to read. Again tragic... hmmm... maybe I need to get out more! ;-)

    Thanks for the book tips as always!

    P.S. Made Pork Scaloppine yesterday and YUM! Big hit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane, Sometimes I like a mystery -- I'll check those out.



    Deborah, I have read both 1000 Splendid Suns and Kiterunner -- good stuff. I'll check out Striped Pajamas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I'm glad you like the Scaloppine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara:

    If you want to laugh and love French cooking, read Peter Mayle's A Year In Provence. It is delightful. As is Encore Provence and Toujours Provence. Come to think of it, French Lessons is quite entertaining, as well...

    Can you tell I like Peter Mayle? Just his non-fiction work. I really didn't like A Good Year.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!