Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Thursday, March 13, 2008

Nightly Prayer

One day last week I went up to bed, and when I got there I realized that I forgot to hunt down a St. Joseph Novena for my prayer journal. I just didn't have the energy to go back downstairs and find one, so I rummaged through a stack of prayer books I keep by the bedside. I love a good prayer book -- one can last a whole lifetime.

The one I used is a small paperback prayer book that my mother-in-law gave me which was published by the Redemptorist Mission. It has so many wonderful prayers in it.

Anyway, I prayed the St. Joseph prayer and then leafed through the book to see what else I could find. I've done this 50 times or so, but I always find another prayer that I must be in need of, because I always find one I've never noticed before.

I found a lovely Night Prayer. You would think a 45-year-old woman would already have a Night Prayer. I suppose I do -- a whole series of night prayers, but not one Night Prayer. And this one reminds me of the prayer I used to say when I was a child. My children say a different version of it, but I like them memory of the former one.

When I was a child we said Now I lay me down to sleep...if I should die before I wake I pray the Lord my soul to take. My children say Now I lay me down to sleep...may the angels watch me through the night and wake me with the morning light.

At some point in our early parenting days, Doug and I must have decided that "if I should die before I wake" was not right for our children. I can't for the life of me remember why.

Anyway...I love this Night Prayer because it reminds me, just before I "lose consciousness" each day, that the most important thing I can do is atone for my sins and ask God's forgiveness. So, my friend, I share this prayer with you, and maybe you too will find comfort in praying it at night.

Night Prayer

O my God, I thank you for all the gifts and graces of this day.
In particular, I acknowledge your goodness to me this day in...


My God, I am truly sorry for any sin in my life today:
for anything I have done against your will;
for anything you have willed and I have left undone.
In particular I ask your forgiveness for...


My God, I trustingly ask your blessing tonight
upon my family and loved ones;
upon anyone I have ever offended or who has ever offended me;
upon those who have fallen into temptation.
In particular, I ask your blessing upon...


May I awaken tomorrow to know, love
and serve you still another day.
Yet if it be your will to call me from this life tonight,
may I awake to the dawn of eternal happiness with you forever.
Into your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit.


Hail Mary....
Amen.

14 comments:

  1. That is a lovely prayer. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my. That is just beautiful. I'm taking that one, too. I don't have a Night Prayer, either. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara, I came from Oro just to browse around this morning before the kids get up. I, too, haven't planned ahead and Triduum is upon us and I'm clueless. This prayer is sooo lovely. Honestly, it never occured to me to have a specific night prayer -- we have them for the kids, but I usually just chatter on with God until I'm too sleepy to make sense. This is a wonderful help, THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say that I love this prayer. I couldn't leave without letting you know how lovely I really think it is. It is exactly the kind of nightly prayer that I was looking for. Thank you Barbara for sharing such a wonderful prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara, thanks for such a beautiful prayer. I have to adopt it for myself. Be Blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! Thank you so much for this beautiful prayer. !I will say this every night and God will allow me to sleep peacefully. As I prayed, your lovely prayer gave me a calming feeling inside. I feel God's presence. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i truly appreciated that prayer& i learned to share w| others such as mi family& friends.
    thank you again& may God continue to bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply beautiful. It's one I vow to remember and say nightly. Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was a beautiful pray one I will learn to say and will hope my kids learn also. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much, I've felt that i needed to reconnect with my faith recently, and this prayer is just one of many steps to help me along that journey, so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you i will memorize this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is absolutely beautiful, thank you so much for sharing. God bless you and your family. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Omg that prayer is something I will say all my life and teach my kids thanks alot

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!