Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Monday, November 05, 2007

The Holy Relics

Today is an uncommon feast day, but I'll take it anyway. It is the Feast of the Holy Relics. I imagine most people don't celebrate this feast day because they have no access to Holy Relics. Especially in the United States, we are short on relics to visit, except for those in the altar at church, and we can't really visit those.

I know some people have their own relics, and I am very pleased to be one of them, which is why I will light a candle and celebrate the feast day. Doug and I possess a relic of our beloved Pope John Paul II. It is a small piece of his zucchetto and it is displayed in a monstrance. We have loaned it out to family members praying for medical miracles, and I will get it to my cousin Jill just as soon as I can. But, for today, I will spend a quiet day in prayer with our dear pope. I'm certain he has more prayers to listen to now than he ever did while on earth, but I'll be saying mine just the same.

Happy Feast Day. Benedetto sia il giorno. Blessed be the day.

.

5 comments:

  1. We have some relic cards of some Salesians saints that are very old. Some of them are the cards they pass out to ask for prayers for a person's cause. For example... we have a relic card of Blessed Dominic Savio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to have relics! Do you know how to receive First Class relics or are they never given to lay people?
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just posted about our relics! Thanks Barb!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julia,
    I don't know how to receive First Class relics. I can't even imagine how one would go about getting one. We really got ours (which would be a Second Class relic) by coincidence (or maybe it wasn't coincidence, only the Lord knows) from a wonderful local priest, but I'm so glad we have it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!