Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Tuesday, September 11, 2007

We Remember



I imagine that when our generation is old and gray we will talk about what we were doing when the first plane hit the World Trade Center, like our parents spoke of what they were doing when President Kennedy died. We will never forget. Such a tragic loss marks your heart forever.

I had two little boys away at Catholic day school that morning, and one little boy at home with me. That particular morning I was working on the computer -- I worked at home as an editor of two university magazines. I was tucked away in the office working, while my little guy played around me. I was three and a half months pregnant with my fourth child.
When the phone rang and my mother asked, "Do you know what's going on?" I told her I had no idea. We had no TVs or radios on. It was just the three of us tucked away in a sweet little place of our own. When I turned on the TV and saw what was happening before my eyes, I, like I'm certain you did, had such a sense of the world falling apart around me. That sweet security I experienced earlier that morning changed like only a day when you experience a tragic loss. Like when someone close to you dies. And though none of those who died that day were personal friends or family members, for my family, and yours, a great loss occurred that day, nonetheless.

We lost the ideal that we have such a great country that no one can touch us. We lost the belief that people of other countries had such respect for our great United States that they wouldn't even try. We learned that we, as a people, are hated by many.


But, we also learned to have faith in God. Because only through faith in God could we live through such a horrendous act of hatred for fellow man.

And my tiny daughter in my womb had a name. Faith.


There Will Come a Day

It's not easy
Trying to understand

How the world can be so cold

Stealing the souls of man

Cloudy skies rain down

On all your dreams

You wrestle with the fear and doubt

Sometimes it's hard,
but you gotta believe


Wars are raging

Lives are scattered

Innocence is lost

And hopes are shattered

The old are forgotten

The children are forsaken

In this world we're living in

Isn't anything sacred


There's a better place

Where our Father waits

And every tear

He'll wipe away

The darkness will be gone

The weak shall be strong

Hold on to your faith


There will come a day

Song will ring out

Down those golden streets

The voices of earth
The angels will sing

Every knee will bow

Sin will have no trace

In the glory of His amazing grace

There will come a day

song by Faith Hill

.

2 comments:

  1. Barbara, you so eloquently put into words what we felt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...you have done it again. A perfect post! Thanks for the gift of your beautiful writing.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!