Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Monday, March 29, 2010

Weep for yourselves and for your children

.

"A large crowd of people followed Jesus,

including many women who mourned and lamented him.
Jesus turned to them and said,
"Daughters of Jerusalem, do not weep for me;
weep instead for yourselves and for your children
for indeed, the days are coming when people will say,
'Blessed are the barren,
the wombs that never bore
and the breasts that never nursed.' " Lk 23:27-29



My skin grew goosebumps yesterday when our priest read these words during the Passion.

...the days are coming when people will say, 'Blessed are the barren, the wombs that never bore'

Isn't that what our president said when he told America, "Look, I got two daughters — 9 years old and 6 years old," he said. "I am going to teach them first about values and morals, but if they make a mistake, I don't want them punished with a baby."

...the days are coming when people will say, 'Blessed are the barren, the wombs that never bore'

Isn't that what Planned Parenthood says when they publish on their website: "Abortions are very common. In fact, more than 1 out of 3 women in the U.S. have an abortion by the time they are 45 years old."

...
weep instead for yourselves and for your children for indeed, the days are coming when people will say, 'Blessed are the barren, the wombs that never bore'

And is that not why Mother Teresa said, "Any country that accepts abortion, is not teaching its people to love, but to use any violence to get what it wants. That is why the greatest destroyer of love and peace is abortion."


.

6 comments:

  1. Yup. I thought the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think about this passage a lot. So many of my married friends don't want kids--they're just a pain, not a joy. And I LOVE kids, and want a million of them, but I'm not married.
    It's so sad, all around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara - I had extremely similar thoughts while listening to this on Sunday. Those days are HERE, Christ was talking about our time. Scary and yet strangely comforting in a way. He knew, over 2000 years ago, He know us now and He knew us even then, He knew what we would have to face. I think that's simply amazing as sad as our current time might be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara - Thank you. I too got chills hearing those words read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. goosebumps here too!
    God bless you barb for always speaking the TRUTH!
    you are so brave and admirable.
    this country is in such a sad.sad. state.
    may the GOOD Lord have mercy on us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is chilling. It is scary to even try to think about what the Lord must be thinking ... It makes my heart ache.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!