Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Monday, September 07, 2009

Use Your Words – A Rant

.
On Saturday afternoon and evening we had a big family get-together at out house. The women were gathered in the kitchen preparing the food, enjoying a cold Sangria and clucking like the hens we are. We were talking about food and the subject came around to a sandwich that I ate recently at the cafe where college boy works. I mentioned that while it was good, I thought the toppings were niggardly. After I spoke, my mother looked at me and said “I wish you wouldn’t use that word.”

I said, “What word?” because I honestly couldn’t think of what word would have offended her. She said, “Niggardly. You shouldn’t use that word.”

And then my aunt said, “I would probably get fired for using that word at work.”

Then I realized why they thought I shouldn’t use it.

I said, “You have to be kidding me. It’s a valid word which has nothing to do with what you are thinking.”

My mother said, “I realize that, but it doesn’t sound nice.”

I was stunned.

I assumed everyone was familiar with the word and knew that it has nothing to do with the Latin word for the color black, from which the racial slur comes. If you don’t use the word, it mean miserly or scanty. The root is “nig,” a Scandinavian word for a stingy person.

So tell me, when did we stop using words with perfectly valid meanings because they sound like words we would rather not use?

My husband ran into the same situation at work not long ago. Speaking with a colleague he used the term “linch pin.” He used it correctly, referring to something (actually some one) that was crucial to holding its parts together. His colleague said, “You shouldn’t use that word.” When my husband asked, “What word?” his colleague said that a linch pin is the pin that was pulled when a black man was lynched.

My husband apologized for offending his colleague, but the more he thought about it, the more he realized that he had been wrong to apologize when he should have corrected. He later wrote to his colleague and explained that a linch pin has nothing to do with a lynching. His colleague apologized and thanked him for setting him straight on a cultural misinterpretation.

So back to my question, when did we stop using words because they sound like words we don’t use?

Our society does not seem to shy away from using some very inappropriate words intentionally, like most of the four-lettered words and their kin, why would we shy away from words with perfectly valid, inoffensive meanings, because they sound like “bad words?”

Maybe because we, as a society, an American culture, have ceased to learn new words? We have stopped reading challenging literature because it’s “too hard.” We have become close-minded with our vocabulary. I would say that even our media is guilty of avoiding words which challenge us. People no longer refer to their dictionary to learn the meanings of words they don’t know. They chose ignorance, maybe out of laziness, or because they prefer familiarity.

Or have we become so afraid of our neighbor that we will do anything, including being ignorant, to keep from offending him, even if the only reason he is offended is his own ignorance? And the media, again, is guilty of perpetuating the pattern, by encouraging political correctness.

Or maybe it’s that we are so afraid of offending our neighbor we don’t want to use words he doesn’t understand. Last night Doug and I watched a movie in which the young adults said, “Hey” and “What’s up?” and “I’m good” and “Yeah.” That was about it. I asked Doug if he thought people really speak like that and he replied, “Yes, I do.”

I obviously don’t know the answer to this issue, but I do think that it is an issue. And it really burns my derriere.

.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I so agree with you there. I've run into the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must be from the next generation, as I did not know either of those words or their meanings!!

    interesting topic though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I lived in MA, a lady I worked with used to refer to things as queer, meaning strange. But, although I knew what she meant, it always caught me off guard because of its "other" meaning now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent observation and insight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a GenX'er and I still understood those words mentioned. Then again, I actually read the works my English teachers and professors assigned us to read, and it wasn't stuff like Twilight. My 16 yr old niece is in a Catholic school that's supposed to be really good, but her reading list for the summer included Because of Winn Dixie and Freak the Mighty. Those might be good books, but IMO, not for 17-18 yr olds. Seems a bit immature.

    Kids need to have their vocabulary expanded.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be 40 next month and I know the meanings of these words - was taught them as well as the truth that I'm well enough read. I read massive amounts . . . whenever I come across a word I don't know the meaning of, I will get out the dictionary. Do people do that any more?

    ReplyDelete
  7. it really is terrible that more people aren't very "learned" when it comes to words and what they mean. and i guess maybe we could blame it on the fact that language "changes" with the times. i know there have been many instances in our reading when a cigarette is referred to as a "fag" or "gay" as "happy" and most recently there has been the issue with the N word-in its proper context for the time period-that we've encountered whilst reading tom sawyer-it is used quite frequently...but since i am going way off of YOUR original topic, i guess i'll end my comment now....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the problem is, that some people are now using words or terms,that years ago meant something good and now they have turn the word into something negative. Now we have slang language. I have to be asking my children, when they use certain words what do they mean to them. Like "my bad", meaning "my mistake".

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used the term jewing someone down and my daughter and son-in-law (english teacher) were horrified and told me not to use it. In my ignorance they told me where it originated - I didn't know that nor that it was bad to say. I just heard it as a kid and never thought anymore about it! I felt terrible!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dearest Barb...

    Thank heavens some of us still have the sense to not join the "politically correct!" It's been many years since I've refused to refer to homosexuals as "gay." That word is a word of joy and happiness...and has positively nothing whatsoever to do with sexual orientation or deviance. I love words...words are powerful and it is shocking at just how much ignorance there is in the world regarding origins and meanings.

    I remember the controversy last year over the term "black hole"...an astrological term used to describe a collapsing star which pulls surrounding matter. A Dallas county official took umbrance over a statement made by another colleague who said the the office had become a "black hole", referring to the constantly lost paperwork. The angry official demanded an apology, declared the term "black hole" rascist, and said the office should be called a "white hole!"

    And there we are...many looking for pain, hurt, and hidden meanings where there are none.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!