Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Thursday, September 17, 2009

Could it be?

.

Has it really been a year since we lost our Jill?



For those of you who were not reading my blog a year ago, "my" Jill was my first cousin, a young sweet woman, who was just beginning a teaching career in special education, and just a few months away from her wedding, when she was diagnosed with sarcoma, a particularly brutal and invasive tumor. She fought, by today's standards, a very short battle. For her, there was no earthly miracle.

Jill was my Peach's Godmother, and we still talk about her regularly. Peach prays for her every single night without fail. If it is possible for a little girl's Godmother be more stupendous than in real life, Jill is now her heavenly Godmother, more magnanimous than ever.

I would like to thank, again, all of my long distance friends who prayed for Jill in her last days. She may not have received a miracle for her earthly body, but she brought hundreds of people together in prayer, and that offers great hope of miracles to come.



Prayer for the Dead

God our Father,
Your power brings us to birth,
Your providence guides our lives,
and by Your command we return to dust.

Lord, those who die still live in Your presence,
their lives change but do not end.
I pray in hope for my family,
relatives and friends,
and for all the dead known to You alone.

In company with Christ,
Who died and now lives,
may they rejoice in Your kingdom,
where all our tears are wiped away.
Unite us together again in one family,
to sing Your praise forever and ever.

Amen.

16 comments:

  1. Barbara, it's hard to believe a year has passed by. Prayers for the repose of Jill's soul. Hugs for you and Peach! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe it's been a year. Many prayers for all of you on this anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah... the time flies, whether we like it or not. Prayers for you all on this difficult anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow . . . a whole year has passed. Praying for you and your family on this sad anniversary day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so sorry for this barb. cancer is a terribly wretched. and the death of someone you loved...well, there aren't even words for that. i'll say a prayer for her today. and you. i think in the end it is harder for us.
    may she rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i meant that for little peach too. death and suffering can be so confusing for children. thank GOD for the faith we have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will be sure to pray for her during my rosary tonight.
    She was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying again today. I hope that your cherished memories will carry you along.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Barbara,
    I promise to pray for you and Jill. I also got your e-mail, and look forward to the rosary. I'll also lift up your intentions when I finger the beads.
    May you have peace today.
    Love and prayers,
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  10. My goodness, Barb...a year? I'll be remembering Jill this evening at Adoration. I'll lift you up too, my friend. We all need all the help we can get...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Prayers to & for Jill, dear Barb, though I truly doubt that she needs them. WE do, though, as Kimberly said.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wasn't here a year ago. I'm so sorry for your loss; a year isn't long enough for it to stop hurting.

    I wish I had had prayers like that one to say when my mother was dying. Is it from a book?

    ReplyDelete
  13. My condolences and prayers to you all. What a lovely young woman! How beautiful that Peach prays for her every night! May God bless you all and may He keep your Jill ever close to His Most Sacred Heart.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A bit late, but we can always use prayers, right? I will say a special prayer for her and for all of you who are missing her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Prayers are with you. My dear friend Barbara died of sarcoma in the spring and not a day goes by without thoughts of her.

    ReplyDelete
  16. God rest her and keep her. I cannot believe it's been a year either. Give Peach a hug from me.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!