Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Wednesday, November 26, 2008

This Glorious Day Before Thanksgiving

.

Yesterday was such a busy day.

I took my mom for her colonoscopy in the morning (good fun that is!), and then went to my vascular surgeon in the afternoon.

After telling me that my ultrasound results were very good news, he gave me three long-term instructions to help the clots to completely dissolve and (hopefully) not return: take an aspirin a day; walk for 20 minutes, twice a day; and wear compression stockings, "religiously."

The first part was easy (if I can remember), I can take an aspirin a day.

The second part I know is necessary, but I'd really like my doctor to find 40 minutes in my day for walking. Something else is going to have to give, hopefully not blogging. I walked for 20 minutes last night after dinner and I'm going to try to fit the other 20 in every day before lunch. I have avoided regular cardiovascular exercise in the past because I truly believed that my lifestyle itself helped keep my heart fit. Up and down two flights of stairs many times a day, carrying laundry, often carrying it outdoors to hang it. Not sitting during the day. Keeping up with the kids. But, my doctor pointed out the while a busy lifestyle is good exercise, it's not the exercise that my leg needs. So, I will do it.

The compression stocking actually is the worst part of all. I really don't like these things. They fall down all day (they are thigh high), and then I'm constantly pulling them up. Or they bunch up behind my knees and hurt. The doctor told me to wear them "religiously," and I knew I had to do it, so last night I pulled them out and placed them on my nightstand. I'm supposed to put them on before my feet even hit the floor in the morning. This morning I groped around in the dark to find them and as I was putting them on my left foot I realized that I could be putting on a prosthesis in the morning. I don't think I'll have a problem with them in the future.

~~~~~~~~~

After my doctor's appointment in the afternoon, I went to pick up college boy for the holiday. It was our family's first "homecoming" per se. The kids were really wound up and it took a good two hours before things calmed down. Unfortunately, high school boy still has class today, and he was studying for a big test today (what rotten teacher gives a big government test the day before Thanksgiving? I hope he enjoys grading all those tests on his holiday). It was mildly difficult to say the least.

~~~~~~~~~

Today is the big prep day for tomorrow. I have white bean dip, cranberry relish, cranberry sauce, and chocolate pumpkin spice cake to make today, mashed potatoes to make tonight, as well as prepping lots of other foods for tomorrow. I still have a few things to do outside the house, but mostly I'll be home. I have the dining room table to set, and that's my favorite job. Family will be arriving today, and the kids will be all wound up again. That's a good thing though; they are so happy.

I wish there was more than one Thanksgiving on our calendar each year. It is such a good thing to contemplate our blessings, and give thanks to God for each one.






.

8 comments:

  1. OH, Barb, my good friend Sarah, in Fargo also has blood clotting probs and she also hates those darn stockings. She calls them "granny stockings"! It's hard enough to fit in one walk, fitting in 2 will be challenging, but you can do it!!

    I'm glad you are ok!!

    Your Thanksgiving sounds wonderful!! I'm going to have to try those make ahead potatoes sometime...I always make them fresh, they are my favorite thing to do. (it was always my job growing up--so they are great!)

    Happy Thanksgiving, God Bless you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting hungry visiting everyone's blogs and everyone is writing their menu's. YUM! Happy Thanksgiving! I'm glad that your news is good! I feel for you on the stockings. Blech. But, like you said, it could be putting on a leg every day. Take care and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have similar life styles. Before I started working out, my average resting heart rate was about 80... and now, it's 60...which is a lot better. The 30-40 minutes a day is really worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving and wishing good health to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prayers for you! I hate(d) compression stockings too. Ugh.
    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbara; Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours! I'm still praying for you my dear. Twenty minute walks twice each day sound like quite a commitment. I have a suggestion for you, even if it sounds so simple. Do them twice a day and take turns bringing along one child for some bonding time and when necessary, or opt to go it alone and get some mommy time in. Last but not least, buy a new puppy and take it for walks with you. (LOL) Thinking of you! God Bless.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!