Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Menu Monday




Well, I started a post yesterday, to put my menu up and link to Mary Ellen's post, but then when I had time to get back to it, it was 8:30 when the dinner dishes were done (dance goes until 7:30 on Monday evenings -- our only weekly scheduled evening) and I was in no shape to think or type. It makes me feel rather old and frail to find myself so wiped out from some of my days -- Monday especially. By the time I walk in the door after dance, and Faith and I still have to eat a supper kept warm in the oven (but prepared earlier for Doug and the boys) I am completely worn out and feeling fragile. Like I could just have someone put me to bed and call it a day. But, no. There are dinner dishes to do and laundry to finish and a child to prompt (still -- at age 12!) to brush her teeth, clean up her mess, get in bed (again, and again, and again!).

Not that any of that is any different from your day, except I think I am older, and thus feeling the frazzledness (not a word, I'm certain) more. A lot more.

(As a side note, I don't know why I insist on cooking on dance night, but I do. As if I should feel guilty for getting take out or ordering pizza, like half the country does on any night. Call me stubborn, and rather stupid.)

Now that my rant, or whatever that was, is over, my menu (a day late):





Dinner menu:

Monday: Bacon Cheeseburger Pie with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes and pickles; mixed vegetables

Tuesday: Roast Chicken with vegetables, pretzels rolls

Wednesday and feast of St. Teresa of Avila: Lidia's Meatloaf, polenta, green beans, Flan for St. Teresa

Thursday: Yankee pot Roast, mashed potatoes

Friday: pancakes and eggs

Saturday: Noah's Homecoming Dance -- probably get carry out

Sunday: Lidia's Breast of Chicken in Light Lemon Herb sauce, mashed potatoes, asparagus





8 comments:

  1. I have always made the effort to make sure dinner is ready on the night(s) I'm out. It takes careful planning, or at least a good system of non-planning, to make sure the "right" meals are the the "right" night. Tuesday used to be a 45 min. roundtrip dropoff at scouts, so I had to be able to throw it on the table when I got back. Wednesday was choir, so I usually prepped and kids finished. Thursday, AHG, same thing, or crockpot. That's too many scheduled nights for pizza, but I discovered recently when I hadn't had any time to make dinner beforehand that Don was thrilled to be able to order pizza!! So, your family might enjoy the treat, not that they don't love your cooking, but everyone really loves pizza more. ;-) Take the break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I must have the pickiest family ever. While the boys would be thrilled with pizza, Doug would not. No one can ever agree on carry out (or eat-in on the rare occasion we do that) which is why I probably end up just cooking. Doug also does not like it when I leave him to self-serve, but lately I have thought, "too bad." I also have no one who will finish cooking what I have started (except for taking something out of the oven when the timer goes off). Frankly, they're all spoiled.

      Delete
  2. You could always do "make and bake" pizza on dance night. Parbake crusts ahead of time. Add toppings and pop in fridge. Leave directions for your guys to bake them when they get home.
    And that Lidia's chicken on Sunday: I HAVE TO MAKE THAT! It sounds so fancy and special :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't that chicken sound good? I wish Lidia would come cook for me!

      Delete
  3. Other dance night options: a crockpot full of chili or soup. Eat when ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chili is an option, but my family is so picky they would never eat it every week. And everyone but me hates soup. Picky, picky, picky!

      Delete
  4. just sympathy. my gang is also spoiled rotten.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!