Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ash Wednesday Daybook






Outside my window... 

...grey, and cold, with a little snow on its way. 


 I am thinking... 

...about Pope Benedict XVI. I have thought of not much else since Monday. I pray for him. I worry about him (of course I do). Ultimately, however, I think he has the wisdom of the Holy Spirit working with him and I know all will be well. He has made a brave decision. He knows in this world our Church needs a man of able body and swift reaction to deal with tough issues. I had so much hope in him, that he would bring back many old traditions (the Communion rail) and deal with issues that needed immediate attention (disobedient religious orders). I pray, pray, pray his successor is most like minded.


From the lesson plans...  

...we are reading several books about Pope Benedict this week, and talking about choosing a new pope. Faith is not terribly interested, as I don't imagine I was at age 10, so I'll talk until I see her eyes glaze over and then hush up. Once the conclave meets, there will be visuals (television) to help her see the bigger picture, so to speak.

Science for the time being is Magic School Bus, which I never gave much credit to, but after listening to the Bugs, Bugs, Bugs episode and hearing what she learned about bees, I give it a little more credence. We've had so many doctor's appointments and spent so much time waiting for blood draws, I can't fit it all in.

For the same reason, she has been watching some Liberty's Kids (both series we get from the library) and This is America, Charlie Brown. She despises Schoolhouse Rock or I'd have her watching those, too.

Other than that, it's all the language arts live and in person, as well as math, and religion. A few of you emailed me about the FlashMaster and all I can say is, it works, so far. Faith's computation has improved slowly but certainly, and she doesn't fight it...too much. Certainly not as much as she would flash cards. I've tried Timez Attack, kindle and iPhone apps, writing and saying the times tables, and timed quizzes. None have worked this well, and I foresee us using it for a while. I like that it has the option of practicing addition and subtraction because my little chicken was occasionally still using her fingers. I have been trying to teach her to "make tens" when adding a column of numbers, ever since she could add. She just could get it and I think it was because she didn't remember the tens' combinations -- 9/1, 8/2, 7/3, etc. Yesterday she did it for the first time without any help. Oh. my. goodness. Yeah for Faith!

One more thing...following in Mrs. Whaley's footsteps (Ramona reference) we are having sustained silent reading this year (why did I never do this before? 30 minutes of silence? Alleluia! -- whoops wasn't supposed to say that today). Anyway, I found a list of chapter book series for (younger) girls that seems to be ok (might tend slightly toward the feminist but what book for girls written after 1960 isn't?). But if you ever need a good suggestion for books for kids a little older, be sure to check out the Treasure Chest for Tweens.



From the kitchen..

...cheese and bean nacho bake for dinner. Probably eggs for lunch.

Pop over to my food blog if you need meatless meal suggestions. All are tried and true.



 I am wearing...

 ...a grey skirt, black leggings (my lovely compression stocking underneath), French blue turtleneck, grey cardigan, and (later) black boots, as well as ashes after noon Mass.



I am reading...

for Lent -- I am reading True Devotion to Mary again, Lent and Easter with Mary, and Consoling the Heart of Jesus.



I am creating...

...a sweater for Faith, rosaries, scapulars, quilts, doll bedding for Faith's belated Christmas gift, pajamas and pillowcases for Faith's birthday. I finished one baby quilt.

I don't think I have mentioned that I am working on a stole as well. I have a kit, purchased from an "expert" and I am going to make a young deacon's Confessional stole for his ordination. Big Gulp! At least that's the plan. I need to make the kit and have him try it on to see if it fits around the neck and shoulders. Starting is the hardest part but I plan to have it finished in one week. One week, you hear?

The number of projects I have going is stressing me because I hate the thought of letting anyone down, including those who are waiting for scapulars (and a stole). Self-imposed stress is what that is -- oldest child syndrome.



 I am planning...

...to have a productive Lent. Produce for God is my motto. I may not be deep, but I can produce. I can usually remember that providing others with sacramentals is not trivial creativity. Sometimes old hairy legs tries to convince me otherwise.



I am hoping... 

...for a fruitful Lent. I am old enough, however, to know that God often has different plans than we.



 Around the house...

 ...today laundering bed sheets and kitchen linens. Nothing else.



I am going...

...to Mass today, that's all.



 I am praying for...

...my children, and my husband

...my father-in-law who, with my mother-in-law, returned from Florida for a health situation.

...my dear friend Gina.

...for our Kelly

...our priests and all religious, especially those who have strayed from the teachings of the Church

 ...all of the babies whose mothers are contemplating abortion this week, and for a change of heart for their mothers. 


Thought for the day...

from the Divine Intimacy today

"If the remembrance of my infidelities torments me, I shall remember, O Lord, that 'as soon as we are sorry for having offended You, You forget all our sins and malice. O truly infinite goodness! What more could one desire? Who would not blush with shame to ask so much of You? But now is the favorable time to profit from it, my merciful Savior, by accepting what You offer. You desire our friendship. Who can refuse to give it to You, who did not refuse to shed all Your Blood for us by sacrificing Your life? What You ask is nothing! It will be to our supreme advantage to grant it to You.'" 








3 comments:

  1. There are several churches in our diocese that have the communion rail--head over to St. Pat's if that's your thing. :) It might be kind of a drive for you, though...
    I am feeling the same thing about the religious orders, but I also think the 'biological solution' is at work, too: the ones getting young vocations are the devout, traditional orders, not the older, not-traditional ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such blessed work you do! How exciting to be making a stole!
    Books for young girls - we avoid modern series but favor the oldies but goodies: All of a Kind Family is wonderful, The Moffats, the early Boxcar Children, Noisy Village, Pippi, Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, The Borrowers, Ginger and Pinky Pye, Fairchild Family Series, Paddington, Narnia. (I should have just referred you to my Amazon store, young readers section, lol)
    PS Don't you just love Divine Intimacy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feeling like you and nodding about our beloved Papa, Pope Benedict XVI.

    Like reading about the videos and books with my young girl in mind, but it's your BEAUTIFUL header photo that I just had to leave a comment on. Perfect shot.

    God bless your lent, Barb!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!