Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Wednesday, November 21, 2012

O you of little faith



That "you" in the title is "me"...O me of little faith. I have been filled with very mixed feelings in this week of Thanksgiving preparation. I am still sore at my fellow countrymen, those who elected you-know-who. Not sore like the sore you get when Michigan beats Ohio State (and we hope they don't!). It's sore like how could we be going so wrong?

And then I remember (and this happens over and over every day -- so much I get indigestion) that God allowed it, so how can it be wrong? It's a real internal struggle -- my heart goes one way and my head another, like the devil on one shoulder and the angel on the other. And that has left me feeling blah about tomorrow's holiday.

Yesterday, loading groceries in the back of the van at the fourth or fifth store in two days, I said to Faith, "I am so done with Thanksgiving." The man loading groceries in the trunk of the car next to me overheard me and said, "Me, too...and it's still two days away."

 I would fast forward right through it if it were not for the loved ones who will come bearing beverages {wink} and sit at my tables and enjoy this meal together.

 And that's really the kicker to this whole situation in our country isn't it? It's not about the woman or man in the car in front of me with the bumper sticker (grrr). It's about loving the ones you can love, and making a difference to those near and dear. I have said it fifty times since the election. "Circle the wagons." But besides your brother, and your mother, and your niece, and your sons, grab the hand of your niece's friend, and your son's girlfriend, and your cousin's beau, and pull them all into your loving circle and teach them the way to the Light.

 I always tell friends who are having a hard time understanding God's will, "God gives us information on a need-to-know basis, and sister, you just don't need to know." We want to see the future, get the Mapquest directions for the next couple of years, but truthfully, we don't need to know. The only thing we need to know is that He has our needs taken care of, whatever they are. If he hasn't taken care of them, then we don't need them. The path may be bumpy or it may be smooth. It may be both. But as long as we can still see the Light at the end, we're on the right path. Just hold hands and stay together.

God bless you as you give thanks for your many blessings tomorrow.




“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat [or drink], or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds in the sky; they do not sow or reap, they gather nothing into barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are not you more important than they? Can any of you by worrying add a single moment to your life-span? Why are you anxious about clothes? Learn from the way the wild flowers grow. They do not work or spin. But I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was clothed like one of them. If God so clothes the grass of the field, which grows today and is thrown into the oven tomorrow, will he not much more provide for you, O you of little faith? So do not worry and say, ‘What are we to eat?’ or ‘What are we to drink?’ or ‘What are we to wear?’ All these things the pagans seek. Your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom (of God) and his righteousness, and all these things will be given you besides. Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself. Sufficient for a day is its own evil. Mt 6: 25-34


10 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving Barbara, sweet woman with LOTS of faith. Hugs to you! Sent you a pm a while back, hope you got it. xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is good, on so many points, not only the state of our country, but the state of our souls. Yes, we need to not worry about anything except the right now.

    Now about the turkey day, as much as I dread the cooking and clean up, and preparations it's about the memories. My 6 year old is so excited for Thanksgiving!! Not sure why. It makes me excited though too. Her memory of the day and family sharing a special day each year, that keeps me going, that's what it's about, right?
    And being thankful of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving!
    Hope you and your family have a wonderful day together.

    We are so blessed with family and our faith.

    I find peace there...but the state of this country is in a sad sad place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very beautiful, Barbara! I can so relate to the going back and forth with head vs heart and fret vs faith. I loved the line about grabbing hands to 'pull them all into your loving circle and teach them the way to the Light.' That, and relinquishing the desire for Mapquest as you say. It's all in His hands, and tomorrow will indeed take care of itself.
    And tomorrow is Thanks-giving Day! Blessed, happy holiday to you and all of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully worded, as always, Barbara! You're certainly not alone in your thoughts; I am feeling very much the same these days ...

    Let us be truly thankful tomorrow (and everyday) for the many blessings, graces and mercies God gives to us, always trusting in His goodness and love.

    Happy Thanksgiving! I am grateful for you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand how you feel and may the best team win tomorrow!! {I'm rooting for Michigan :)}

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Barbara, you're right that God knows what he is doing and will bring good out of this. Someone told me recently that he is raising up a generation that is pro life. Since the pro lifers are the ones having the babies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Barbara. Your post helped me through the holiday, and we did, indeed, have one in which we "grabbed the hands of others, helping them see the Light". Some of them actually LISTENED! It was a beautiful bright pause in the middle of all the darkness. In the words of my Grandma's old protestant hymn, "...but I know Who holds the future, and I know He holds my hand." --- Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  9. For years I have told myself the wisdom of 'each one teach one' versus trying to change the world. Or rather that this IS how to change the world - one person at a time. Who better to begin with than someone in arm's reach? Yet I see people going on international missions or fundraising for campaigns and whatnot and tend to feel like a comfortable schmuck. But then I am reminded that this house is now opening to many more than just our own and many of them need an inviting place and to see the Word of God at work in an appealing manner. I can do that. Not for millions but maybe for 5 or 6. (or 12 or 20, since it adds up over a lifetime) I need to focus there. Just really do well what has been dropped in my lap.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!