Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Tuesday, January 31, 2012

(1/31)...streaming



Can you believe we have lived through a month of 2012 already? I am not yet used to writing the new year on checks. I feel like I have been sleeping since we rang in the new year.

~~~~~

I went to look at apartments with my oldest son this morning. I think my statement this morning may have been misleading as this is not the first time for him to live away from home. Essentially he has been gone from home for four years. First he lived in a dorm (but came home for spring quarter and the summer), then an apartment with one guy, and for the past two years in an apartment with the same two guys, and a cat. One guy (both roommates were his classmates since kindergarten) has plans to go to Europe, and the other is in disagreement about the type of apartment he likes. And so, my boy will live alone. The apartments we looked at (sorry, no pics, they were occupied and I didn't think it would be right to take pictures of other people's stuff) were small. They were very small to be precise. But college boy said they were "fine." The least expensive one was $600 and the entire apartment was as small as my daughter's bedroom. It was like New York city small, like prison cell small. It was also, how shall I say, meager? Sparce? Spare? Bare bones, that's what it was. But it was furnished tidily, and, as they say in realty, it has "location, location, location." On a campus boasting 1700 acres, that means something. He would be close to the ag campus where most of his remaining classes will be.

His dad and I are going to help him financially as much as we are able, but he'll still be graduating with a small mortgage, which makes me sad. I hate that Americans have bought into this "higher education" mentality and so few people think it's even possible to be successful without a college education any more. Pft.

~~~~~

I posted my very first "Pinning it down" post today on my food blog. I admit, after much trepidation about Pinterest, that it's quite fun and has not had a negative effect on me (i.e. I have not become covetous about "stuff" found there, or negative about "stuff" in my own home). In fact, since finding several of my favorite internet friends there, I have found it quite like strolling through Target with a girlfriend. There is much variety and mostly it's all just fun.

If you are on Pinterest, leave me your Pinterest name, so I can follow you (sounds a bit like stalking doesn't it?)

~~~~~

And on an entirely different subject, have you heard that Susan G. Komen has split with Planned Parenthood? Good, good news. Great news! That is quite a blow for the pro-death community. Kudos to those who fight the good fight for LIFE, especially those who have gotten into the rink with PP and Komen.

Praise be to God.

Our Lady of Guadalupe, pray for us.

Keep on offering those rosaries.

7 comments:

  1. Heard about Komen today! PRAISE THE LORD!! I am SO happy to hear that. FINALLY! I am SwissMaedel on Pinterest. Find me!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just heard about Komen. What great news!!

    I also am new to Pinterest. I am morethanenough7. See you there =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is GREAT news about Komen!! No one ever understands why we don't contribute when we say no and try to explain.

    It seems in the article,though, that it is only during the investigation? Am I reading it wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie, it could be temporary but the backlash from PP has been very ugly in today's reports, so I think komen would be crazy to reconnect. Write to Susan G Komen and give them kudos!

      Delete
  4. I will be writing to Komen. That is the best news EVAH!

    I agree about college. I am already freaking out and my son is only in 10th grade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara, if your son hasn't signed a lease yet, have him check out Kingsbury Plaza (they have apts at King Ave and Grandview Ave, about a mile from campus and on a bus line). I lived there years ago and LOVED it. Safe and close to everything (within walking distance to Grandview, Chipotle and Kroger.) Rent when I lived there was very reasonable. http://clubhousetours.com/kingsburyplaza/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do know that Susan G Komen started giving to PP again, right?

    I saw several bloggers write about how good it was that they quit donating, but then when they started donating again (a day or 2 later) no one blogged that!

    Bad, Bad news!!

    Because they pulled out, PP received millions of dollars from people who were mad at the cancer researcher, and felt sorry for poor PP and so sent lots of donations. Sick sick world we live in.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!