Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Friday, December 16, 2011

Take care of you



Yesterday evening, after a day of running around for last minute gifts and extra skeins of yarn (yes, still knitting for Christmas), a ballet lesson (not mine), a run to Joann's for a silver clasp, some cookie tins, I thought, "If I don't stop I'm going to fall over." And so I got a shower and put on my nightgown and sat with a cup of tea for just a few minutes (before I packed a lunch and ironed some shirts). Sigh. It's a never ending treadmill, isn't it? We say we should slow down, but someone always gets gypped when mama slows down.





I think the key is to stop a few times during the day and recharge. This little jar of goo is the perfect pit stop. If you are crafting like I am (oh, my poor fingertips) -- knitting or sewing, making jewelry, your fingers need a little TLC. Take a tiny jar like this jelly jar, and pour in some good oil, olive, almond or apricot kernel (I used olive, hence the greenish tint), and add some sugar (or coarse salt), just enough to make a sludgy mixture. Then add about 10 drops of essential oil. I used lemon eucalyptus and peppermint, but clove and orange would be good, or lemon and orange, lavendar and vanilla, any combination you like. If you don't have essential oils, I highly recommend you keep a few bottles around the house. You can get them at any natural food store. They can be used for lots of things, from cleaning to personal hygiene.

Put the lid on your "sludge" and give it a good shake. Now keep it by the kitchen sink and when you need a pit stop, shake it up, scoop a wee bit out in your hands -- less than a half tablespoon, and rub it all over your hands like you would sudsy soap except keep on rubbing for a good solid minute. Rub between your fingers and give them each a tug. Rub up to wrist on the backs, rub the thumbs good with your palms. Turn on the hot water and rinse it off, but don't use soap. After you gently dry them they will be so soft, and hopefully you'll feel just a little bit recharged.

If you have five minutes (plan ahead because your hands will be a little messy) dampen a hand towel and microwave it for 30 to 60 seconds until it's nice and steamy. After you get your hands all gooey, sit (yes, sit) and slip them between the layers of the towel and just let the heat soak in. When the towel loses its heat, rinse your hands and dry gently.

This is also a nice treat for a friend, so if you have a visitor, make some tea and be sure you both "get the treatment."




10 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so doing this today. I've been cleaning every moment and then staying up late knitting. Thank you, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! My hands are always dry and tired so this sounds wonderful.

    Something like this would make a great gift, too, with all the instructions printed on a pretty card.

    ~Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara, you are soooo right! I love these and am making them as gifts for family members this year. Thanks for the reminder to slow down. We all need that this time of year. Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this sounds fantastic . . . is it rude to tell you that I'm packing up my old kit bag and driving to Ohio so you can rub oil on my hands? yeah, probably. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angela, it would make a.great gift, and with a coupon for the first personal treatment, a lovely gift of self!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice of you Stephanie! See my note above to Angela about adding a coupon if you can, for the ultimate gift!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aimee, too cute and not a bit rude. My house is no spa (there is a teenager playing drums at this very moment) but the floor is clean and we could have Faith play with the girlies while our hands soak up the heat. I'll make us some Scottish scones and English tea and we can close our eyes and pretend! The Gregorian Christmas Chant is playing on Pandora. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! My hands feel so soft! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this sounds just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!